BO15 Let the wrenching begin...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got my long overdue bike repair stand. Im going to start assembling my build off bike tomorrow. I stripped the frame with a wire wheel, Ospho'd it, primed and put a nice gold base coat on it. On top of that, some gold mini flake, followed with 2 coats of PPG yellow Kandi, then 6 coats of H.O.K. root beer Kandi. Its a '52 Schwinn Excelsior.

Attachments

• 20200519_182109.jpg
    20200519_182109.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200519_193422.jpg
    20200519_193422.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 124
Welcome to the build off! Looks like you're pretty handy with the paint gun. Great frame to start with too.
Keep those in process, step by step photos and text coming. We want to see how you did it and techniques along the way.
When posting photos, after you upload to your thread, click the 'full image' button and then they will show up like this, and we won't have to click on the thumbnails to see them well.
painted frame.jpg

RaT oN~!

Im gonna use black Ops Dawg bar handlebars my build off bike, which are the same bars as my black strandie (pictured here at the beach). Super comfy, killer looking IMO, and apparently very popular and hard to find nowadays. I finally found the very last pair from a vendor after a 2 hour long internet search of "SOLD OUT" sites.

Btw, this stand was less than a hundy on Amazon...and its pretty stout. HMU if you want info

Another thing I must mention...i prepped this frame for paint correctly. However, it is a bike that will be a daily rider, not a show bike. I did not worry about wetsanding and buffing this frame. Its over all very clean, but by no means perfect. And I know and Im down w the whole rat bike thing and I LOVE that too...this is all in good fun and doesnt call for perfection. But when you spend your life striving for perfection in the "kustom kulture" doing high end MC paintwork for tens of thousands of dollars, it just had to be said.

I'm sure most if not all of you have seen this before, but for those of you that haven't there is no need to bang on your frame when you are trying to install a set of bearings. This is a conversion kit for an American bottom bracket to go from a one piece to a three-piece sealed bearing. I will show you how to press these in very easily as opposed to hammering them in.
20200528_180803.jpg

The black washers are a rubber washer to protect the surface of the bearing from scratches Etc

A little bit of Grease around the bearing housing is a good thing. It will help to compress the bearings into the frame. Bearings are one area where there is no such thing as too much grease

Attachments

• 20200528_181257.jpg
    20200528_181257.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 84
So this is a picture of the bearings put into the bottom bracket just by hand, and you can see that they go almost all the way in without any sort of resistance. I will finish it off by tightening a nut around the shaft to push the bearings all the way in. No I understand again, that a lot of you guys already know this I'm not showing you anything new, this is strictly for the guys or gals who have never done this before.
20200528_181636.jpg

I have snugged the nuts with the washers against the bearings by hand, and I am now about to tighten them down with a wrench. I don't want to over tighten, I'm going to go slow, and I just want the bearings to meet the frame flush

Attachments

• 20200528_182123.jpg
    20200528_182123.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 87
DA-TA!!!! flush all the way around. Remember go slow. The cylinder in the middle that holds the spindle for the cranks is off center but you can easily remedy that by sticking a screwdriver in there and re-centering it
20200528_183057.jpg

Next Grease the shaft between the splines. Remember, there's no such thing as too much grease when it comes to bearings
20200528_183705.jpg

Latest posts

Back