Let’s see big fat white letter BMX style 26 tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking bikes on a bike forum is never off track. I have a personal answer to the rigid 29er SS, based on an inexpensive asian frame, built up with proper parts/wheels that cost me under $500. Granted, I had a great manufacturer hook-up on the hubset, shop employee discounts and a fair amount ofpatience to get the Shimano XT parallel push stoppers, but a sub-$1000 ripper is always nice to rock.

You had me at 29er & SS. Two things I love

I'll never part with my GF Rig and also my Haro Ally. My Ally gets 10x the miles of any other bike in the garage

I found a pair of 26 x 3 whitewalls for my bike, but they also have the blackwall version for 34.99 each w free shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078B7FQVX/ref=twister_B078B8GQ7X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 116716
The Surly Knard's 26 x 3 can also be found for $35

1587154885147.png

Those Surlys look great. I'd like to get a set before I go the Philippines, but I can't find any place that will ship.
I got notice that my new Wanda tires were almost here. Just for fun, I was going to see if I could get another pair. Nope, the price jumped up to $50 each on the whitewalls and even more, to $60 for the blackwalls. That happened the last time I ordered 3 inch tires, with Duros for my Dyno. The price went way up after I got a pair. Maybe they didn't factor in the shipping to Hawaii when they put them on sale. I think anytime I see some on sale I should get an extra set. Then find a place to hide them from the wife.

I know the width is 3 inches, but I also need the height to take into consideration. I didn't know how tall these tires were, but I ordered them anyway. The usual 26" cruiser rim is 22 inches in diameter, 26 x 2.125 tires is just over 26 inches. These 3 inch tires diameter is right at 28 inches.

26 x3.JPG

Those Surlys look great. I'd like to get a set before I go the Philippines, but I can't find any place that will ship.
I got notice that my new Wanda tires were almost here. Just for fun, I was going to see if I could get another pair. Nope, the price jumped up to $50 each on the whitewalls and even more, to $60 for the blackwalls. That happened the last time I ordered 3 inch tires, with Duros for my Dyno. The price went way up after I got a pair. Maybe they didn't factor in the shipping to Hawaii when they put them on sale. I think anytime I see some on sale I should get an extra set. Then find a place to hide them from the wife.
Try treefortbikes .
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Surly-Knard-26-x-3-120tpi-Tire

It was too good to be true. I just received an email saying none are in stock. That's okay, now I don't need to find a hiding place for those big tires. And my new cranks and bearings showed up today. They aren't made in China. They are made in Taiwan, so everythings cool! :grin:
cranks34.JPG

Has anyone here tried the 26 x 2.5 GT Smoothie yet?

Smoothie.jpg

The Kenda K-927s are a bit too squirrely for me at speed and the cornering transitions seem weird for a round profile tire. There's a slight spot at the beginning of the lean where they feel like they want to let go. At least I got to try them for free and I have a build coming up that will use them.

I had already fallen down the aforementioned proverbial rabbit hole once because of this thread. The particular rabbit I am now asking about, peeked out. I have an Izumi Jet Black chain on the way for my yet to be named 1940 Schwinn and want to eventually ditch the whitewalls. Though not set mainly on the big white lettering I seek performance primarily, followed by budget concerns and the desire for a blackwall tire.

I’m leaning towards Crazy Bob’s right now, but that may change. I’m still looking at the Holy Rollers too. I’m holding off until I get the bike painted and I want to see how the 26 X 2.5 tire I’m waiting on for my Muscle Bike build looks before I order anything. I want see if a 26 x 2.5 looks far enough. I’m trying to build a blacked out 26” version of my son’s Tornado and I want to copy the look and feel of it.
A742A33D-4DBC-4DC2-9F87-236D5108039B.jpeg
F3F0A683-19E0-4988-9C59-68A0316EA404.jpeg

While not a huge fan of Schwalbe's MTB tires, I find their Utility/Urban tires are outstanding. I ride the HS-159s on my ISO 630 wheels often and my tallbike sports them exclusively. They are good enough for gravel, fast enough for the road, tough and last really well.
legs.jpg

Last edited:
I did get the Kenda Kinniptions and rode around town on them. They transition turns really well and hold off-camber ridiculously. Looking forward to trying them at the pump track.

I'm surprised, I'd heard mixed things about them having a lot of side flex and not holding up under load. Good to know!!

I'm surprised, I'd heard mixed things about them having a lot of side flex and not holding up under load. Good to know!!
I weigh just over two hundy and at 65psi felt zero flexiness. They are rated to 80psi. Maybe someone was running cruiser <40psi pressure in them?

I used to run WTB Motoraptor 2.4 on my rigid singlespeed in the Fruita Bookcliffs at 55psi, otherwise they felt like they were going to roll of of the rim when hard cornering.

Elvis Costello said it, Pump It Up!

Confirmed at the pump track today, those Kiniptions are beastly and even with only 70psi in them, no sidewall issues or flex at all under my 200#. They transition turns really well also. I think next time up there with them, I'll probably run 65psi, or maybe even 60psi. Whomever claimed they have flexy sidewalls needs to pump their tires up.

Latest posts

Back