less and less

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there fewer and fewer people into bicycles anymore?
There is so little "action" on the bike sites nowadays.
I must belong to about 6 sites and it seems like fewer and fewer people are building/fixing bikes today.
I thought maybe the shutdown would get more people back into the scene but so far it hasn't happened(?).
I know that our throw-away society is one aspect of the problem, but with more cities finally adding bike lanes and such, it seems like there should be a growth spurt but .........

What do you think?

What kind of sites? I belong to this forum and a handful of Facebook groups for custom bikes including the Rat Rod Bikes Facebook group. I see lots of online activity.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

bicycle sales are through the roof since the pandemic started, so much so that used sales are disproportionately priced as a result of the slow supply stream for new.

but I'll agree that the traffic on this site seams low. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm talking about in comparison to the 2010-ish era.

I see lots of online activity.
For sure there is activity but if you look thru this site you will notice MANY of the topics here (Not just this site but the others I belong to) have not had responses or activity in months.
Sales of Parts
Gallery
and especially Builds (this being "rat rod bikes' I would think there would be lots of people building their rat bikes).
Just something I have noticed in the topics I have clicked thru.
Maybe it's just me but my posts get one or two responses and little more.

For sure there is activity but if you look thru this site you will notice MANY of the topics here (Not just this site but the others I belong to) have not had responses or activity in months.
Sales of Parts
Gallery
and especially Builds (this being "rat rod bikes' I would think there would be lots of people building their rat bikes).
Just something I have noticed in the topics I have clicked thru.
Maybe it's just me but my posts get one or two responses and little more.
Maybe there's a shift from traditional forums to social media? I belong to 6 or 8 bicycle related Facebook groups and there is all kinds of activity. Builds, rides, parts wanted ads and all kinds of for sale stuff.
I find it funny when on the Rat Rod Bikes FB group, most of the people there seem to have never seen or heard of the RRB forum.

It’s social media, this forum took a huge hit years back from Facebook specifically. HUGE.

Steve set up the Rat Rod Bikes Facebook group because he’s good at keeping with the times, and it grew like crazy and yes, people in that group have never been here. It’s sad.

As stated earlier though, new and used bike sales have gone crazy. Bike shops and retail stores sold out all spring and summer and bikes and bike stuff continue to be hard to get. I talked to a guy in a bike shop who said they have bikes backordered until 2022.

I quit Facebook a couple years ago but still use Instagram and see lots of innovative bike stuff still happening there, traditional, rat, and freak.

So, bike stuff is bigger than it’s been since the bike boom in the 70s, it’s just hard to see if you’re not on every platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, even with an explosion of demand for bikes, it's not likely to translate to much customizing. You're mostly going to see new riders or adults who haven't ridden since childhood, perhaps many of them getting into it to go on family rides and those aren't the people likely to start customizing. Myself, I've got at least one more in me—an electric—and I'm waiting for the build off. I think I'll be able to show things that might be useful to some people. If I did an independent build journal, it wouldn't get anywhere near as many views.

Thanks guys.
I am on FB but so seldom visit there that I forgot to put that into the equation, lol.
I should go check the groups out there.
I'm trying to get some info from experienced guys about motorizing my bike.
I do not like 2 stroke, so my choices become more limited.
I would like some opinions about any 4 strokers and drive transmission combos available for this project at reasonable prices.

My guess is that many forums on the internet lose members over time due to other forums growing and becomingmore mainstream and well known. Such Facebook and Reddit because they have more advertising so new people flock to them because they are more well known.

I prefer this platform for it's ability to more simply find past, vital discussions relative to the topic you're pondering or involved in.
I may be wrong but I didn't see how to do that on FB.
it seems like conversations just get buried and the entire discussion has to be repeated again( there?).

I prefer this platform for it's ability to more simply find past, vital discussions relative to the topic you're pondering or involved in.
I may be wrong but I didn't see how to do that on FB.
it seems like conversations just get buried and the entire discussion has to be repeated again( there?).
I agree. My FB news feed jumps all over the place and I can seldom see the same post twice without lots of scrolling. Forums are a better way to find historical data.

I think FB is the issue. I recently joined some web forums specific to my other vehicles (VW Syncro, Merc SLK, Old Honda CB350), And ...... if I dont follow all the same in FB, in real time. FB doesn't make it easy to go back and search threads for specific info. But it's "alive" with thoughts and photos getting fed to you.
As for motorizing, think about going electric. IC motors need to go away (no offense to grease monkeying as a hobby). There're are some cool electric bikes out there...and fast. See https://www.ruff-cycles.com/

If you want to go electric, the cost can be intimidating (especially for batteries), but if you're willing to put together a battery pack yourself, batteryhookup.com has some incredible deals. What they have varies, so you have to keep checking, but I've never seen them without something suitable. I'm building a 35.2 aH 52V lithium polymer battery with each cell having a built in BMS for under $200 shipped. I got a good charger for another $100 (a good charger will make a big difference in battery longevity).
I'm using these specifically. Also using them to electrify a kayak. Real easy to package.
https://batteryhookup.com/products/3-7v-4-4ah-16-28wh-w-bms-no-wires

Latest posts

Back