Ledge 3.1 (now 7 speed w/ Megarange)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a new axle bolt and have been working on truing the fancy back wheel.
Been a while since I've done a wheel fresh laced with this pattern and dang I forgot what a pain it is to initially true compared to standard 3x.
But it will be sweet when its done & in my experience will require less frequent truing.

Once I get done truing this wheel I can recheck my rd tuning and then get back to my rat build.

Well I am not going to be using this wheel. Can't get it to true without a shorter set of spokes for the drive side.
Im at the tightest they can go (no more threads) and can't get it.

Oh well guess I put the new axle bolt in the other rear wheel and call it good for now.

To bad it didn't work out for the replacement wheel. At least the axle will repair the original. I've been lucky and have yet to bend a axle even though some of my bikes are big box store bikes, but I'm a light duty rider. I only ride pavement, hard pack, and gravel roads at a leisurely pace to get some exercise and to just get out of the house. Bikes replaced going for walks for me because walks often caused increased problems with my health issues. Bicycling doesn't and I'm not gone from home near as long on a bike as I was on a walk.

Yea I was a bit sad but no big loss.
I've only bent a couple axles but this one I believe got bent when it was stolen; its needed a lot of TLC after getting it back.

Well I made some changes today and my bike is now a 7 speed.
Got a SR Apex-5 170 arms (same length as original arms) 52t / 42t removable chain rings.
So I got out the grinder and made the 52t ring into a chain guard (had a couple bad teeth on it anyway) and now its a nifty very light weight 42t with chain guard crankset.
After I got the bb cleaned and greased I put the new crankset on and went... I wonder... I pulled the old twist shift pair & put on a 7spd 2 button thumb shifter.
After that I felt compelled to try the 14-34t megarange freewheel again.
Right off the bat there was no way it was going to that 34t ; extended the chain a few links and dialed in the rear derailleur and it works.

Wahoo happy.
I only rode around the block as I'm too tired to do more tonight but if the rain stays away I'll give it a good workout tomorrow.

When you get some time please post pics of the changes you made. It's really interesting how adding some chain links allows many derailleurs to work with the Megaranges. I would have never known that without this forum and roddy*pipers XR-75 thread. Be sure to let roddy know it worked for you.

I'm not sure why its working now.
Most bikes I've seen with stock megarange can't be on the biggest chainring (normally 42t ish) and the 34t cog at the same time because chain length.

I'll see about pics later and I'll jump over and post on Roddy thread

OK had a small bit of energy so I snapped a couple pics of what I did.

a7utupuj.jpg

ysygypyj.jpg

azesaha9.jpg

I must say that even the short ride around the block I was very happy with the new shifter; rapid shifting with it is fun. One full press of the lower button and it goes from 7th to 3rd or 4th (need to check which for sure) but either way its nice; way easier for my bum hand to use than grip shifts.

I'll get better pics tomorrow in day light. And better shots of the chain ring.

Also should note I'm not sure how much I lengthened the chain lol... I added a section then tested and shortened until it worked right.
When it was too long in anything other than the 34t rear there was too much play in the chain and 7 th (14t) gear the chain slop was so bad the chain would pop off.

Oh and while I had the grease out for the bb I went ahead and ripped the entire rear suspension apart and greased it up as well; hoping it will travel more smoothly and not squeak like an old farm truck on a washboard road any more.

Last edited:
Thanks. I loled because my friends neighbor about had a heart attack when he heard I used a vintage weight weenie crankset and grinding on it.
Its awesome that it shaved a good chunk of weight off this bulking behemoth.
I'd say this crankset weighed 600g at most before I ground the 52t ring into a guard.

This is one that has the combo brake lever; I'm hoping to find a left brake lever that matches without being a 3 gear shifter too.
This was the only one I've come across for a while that isn't 1 is a push button and the other a pull lever for shifting (my hand can't work the pull part properly).

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I have had both the Shimano ones, one with the push/push and one with the push/pull, the push/push is much nicer to use. I could not find the Shimano one for mine so bought the Sunrace one, which seems really good but will reserve judgement till I actually ride with it.

14278247137_6541dea7df_z.jpg

Pretty cheap to buy new:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunrace-M53...1220577663?pt=US_Shifters&hash=item2c85a2757f

Mine was $21 delivered here in Australia.

Luke.

I only have part use of my right hand so the push/pull ones are no go for me same with the old thumb shifters.

Nice; good price on that.

I went "shopping" at the bike co-op for mine. Same with the crankset; so they were the low low price of free. o_O
Thought I was going to be stuck with the grip shift but after digging for around 30minutes I found the goofy piece that these need to be able to hook up the brakes.

I also got a couple other treasures there but they will be revealed in due time as at least one will find its way onto my upcoming project that is currently in pb blaster stage.

Last edited:
Your chain ring mod looks really nice. Nice shifter upgrade and I love the price. You have really transformed the Goose and made it a much nicer ride IMHO.

Greasing the rear suspension on my XR-75 really cut down the squeaking, creaking, and popping you mentioned your 3.1 did. I guess about all of these inexpensive bikes with rear suspension are noisy like that. My XR-75 got nosier the more I tightened up that rear shock until I greased everything.

Your chain ring mod looks really nice. Nice shifter upgrade and I love the price. You have really transformed the Goose and made it a much nicer ride IMHO.

Greasing the rear suspension on my XR-75 really cut down the squeaking, creaking, and popping you mentioned your 3.1 did. I guess about all of these inexpensive bikes with rear suspension are noisy like that. My XR-75 got nosier the more I tightened up that rear shock until I greased everything.
Thanks.
If the weather decides not to rain later I'll be riding to work and will report back.

I found that the tighter my "shock" spring was the less it would squeak but the more it would creak or pop. The loser the spring the more it would squeak. I think I found the in between because it was doing all the sounds lol.

Hoping I greased this thing up enough it was getting embarrassing as people would stop and look hearing it coming.

Last edited:
Well after riding to work I'm mostly happy with the work I did.
The unhappy is that after 2 miles the squeaking started coming back.

But otherwise loving it.
I did use the mega 34t gear to battle the wind when I had to ride into it.

e3e8e5um.jpg

2yvuqyme.jpg

apamebe8.jpg

Glad to hear it's working and that the Megarange has already been helpful. Ughh, wind, what a drag. So the darn squeaking returned. I've read online about people having good results from replacing those spring shocks with the DNM air shocks. Here is a linl to one for sale on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/DNM-Mountain-...0-3794408?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MH9A33FTGAE9VRGV6DT

I don't know if the 165mm eye to eye spacing will work on your bike or not or if it will solve all the noises. I believe I've seen the DNM shocks for less money on other sites and there are other sizes of them available. If considering one make sure you measure what size spacing your bikes uses

I've considered getting a piece of steel rod to replace it and make a hardtail.
Was bidding on a fox racing shock before the bike was stolen.
I just can't bring myself to spend much on this bike now; was hoping to go at least a year before needing to do much to it but when it was stolen it got the snot beat out of it.

Last edited:
Understandable, I have considered inexpensive ways to convert my XR-75 to rigid frame. Using metal to do this a person would definitely have to use the plastic bushings used for the shock or come up with some brass replacement bushings. That or some other nylon or plastic that would work with what is being used to make the frame rigid. While I have done some reading on the replacement air shocks I have not been willing to spend the money for one for my XR-75 since I don't like bike. Your Ledge 3.1 is a better and more upgradeable bike than my older and cheaper XR-75. All the upgrades you made to your Ledge has given me inspiration and motivation to make a real attempt at making my XR-75 a more pleasant ride. Maybe a black and yellow XR-75 thread will be coming soon. You and Roddy might be the only members to view it though. LOL

The funny thing is there's only 6 plastic pieces on this bike out of all the joints for the suspension.
There is a lot of metal on metal.

If I can find a 36h freewheel disk brake hub I can have front & rear disk brakes as this has a mount for the rear caliper; and I've already acquired a matching caliper for the rear.
I have no intentions of paying out a ton of money for a hub tho.

Last edited:
So today I replaced the cheap pos screw that adjusts the rear derailers angle (just checked with Google and its called the "B adjustment bolt")
With an Allen cap bolt (the highest strength the hardware store had).
The one that came with this derailer was a tad bent and the head was starting to strip out.
Now I have that done I was able to adjust the rd and now it shifts to the 34t cog very easily.

Also had a close call with stopping only to realize the original cheap rear brake pads were to the ware like. So I put on a new pair of Jagwire pads; my old get around bike still has its jagwire pads after 4 years and they still look almost new. (Working on fixing it up to sell right now so that's why slow progress on my other projects)

On a silly side note a couple people I know have dubbed this bike grey goose; kind of wish I could get some graphics done up with the grey goose wodka logos to replace the mongoose ones.

Latest posts

Back