Late 60s or 70s Schwinn Typhoon Value

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a guy wanting to sell me a late 60s or 70s typhoon It was red from factory and has one coat of cheap paint over the red (they did mask the chaingaurd label so it is still good) I think I could get the spray bomb off and save the original paint It has the wrong rims and I think the seat is wrong. He wants 40.00 for it and I am wondering if it is worth that much can anyone help before I make a mistake and buy it for that. I would pass but I do not have one in my collection even if I end up rat rodding it.

$40 is okay for it. Quite a bit more if it has a working 2-speed kickback hub. (probably not if the wheels have been changed)

Attempting to do a show room resto on it isn't financially sound so do what you want with it.

the original seat would have the big S and should be painted white on half, matching color to the frame on the other half. All black and it's a replacement.

original rims would be chrome or painted, depending on year and if it's a regular Typhoon or a Deluxe Typhoon.

The main issue for Schwinn middle weights is tires. 26 x 1 3/4 (fractional) is not the same size as 26x1.75 (decimal). Fractional tires can be a challenge. Old and crusty, 14yo repops for $100-150 each, or ill fitting modern cheapies for $40 each. But if the rims/wheels have been changed out, they might be decimal rims now so there are endless tires available.

I rebuilt an 1950 Schwinn Ace with aluminum rims with 2" slicks and it rides far better. Cutting the rotating weight really helps.

you can look the serial number up to get the year & month of production. Then find the matching Schwinn catalog page on the www to see what was stock when new. Schwinn changed the sprocket design from the clover leave pattern to a mag design around 1970.

rick
my middleweights
Ace, American, Hollywood, Typhoon, Typhoon

sold:
Starlet III, Flying Star

Last edited:
I am thinking, not all there, no collectors value, spray bomb mess; $25.00 flipper all day. Even though brazed frames are more sought after.

Thanks guys I'll look at it a little better in the morning I may still grab it to use the frame and fork for a build

Went ahead and picked it up for $30.00 it is a 77 and is all origanal except for frt rim and tire. The one coat of cheap paint will come off easy so I have a good base for a future project.

Check out Chimichanga's for sale thread on here. He has the s7 tires for $15 a piece plus shipping. Surf the bay and you can find a pair of Kenda s'7s for between 40-50 shipped. If you're looking for period correct and vintage, then expect to shell some money, but the repops that I've used (Kenda) are nice and no more expensive than other tires.

I'm sure I have at least one vintage 26 1 3/4 tire, probably two. Not sure if they are a pair.
I can take some pics tonight.
PM me if you are interested
Marius

I think I have a front rim, too

$30 sounds like you got a good deal. The Schwinn paint, and chrome, was pretty good quality so it may look great after cleaning it up.

Latest posts

Back