L'Angelo di Ferro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the suspension seat post fabed up. It works pretty sweet but the spring I picked out is a little bit way too soft. I spent the morning looking for a stiffer replacement but I didn't find any that were a perfect fit. This one should work fine for the photo's though.:wink1:
20170728_004448.jpg
20170728_004941.jpg
20170727_233630.jpg

Oh yah , Very trip-in-dic-ular !
You don't need a shifter pphhhh....just hook up a cable to your suspension seat post , and Viola... !,,you have Gluedium Maximus controled ,shifting !

Last edited:
...This one should work fine for the photo's though.:wink1:

"Right, we're a superficial bunch, its all about the pictures. Just tell us it runs like a champ and we'll be none the wiser.":thumbsup:

I've come to realize that I have a serious leverage issue with my design. Stay turned for the version 2.0...

I've come to realize that I have a serious leverage issue with my design. Stay turned for the version 2.0...
That was my thought also. The fulcrum is so close to the pivot that you are compounding the weight from the seat exponentially. I started to suggest using a compression spring under the seat post hidden behind the gussets, but I didn't want to interfere with your train of thought.

Looking forward to your solution!

I like the gas traction spring, or maybe a hydraulic type that would move in and out with the rider weight and bumps. Perhaps parts from an old mtb suspension fork or one of those cheap rear sus spring coils would do? Much stiffer and designed for that type of use.

Your fenders look like they go on a motorcycle. Smallest I know are about 4.5" wide (side to side). What width are your fenders? Looking forward to seeing your final product!

Your fenders look like they go on a motorcycle. Smallest I know are about 4.5" wide (side to side). What width are your fenders? Looking forward to seeing your final product!
Yes they are motorcycle fenders. They are about 5" wide. Its a pretty heavy gauge steel. I'll be cutting an inch out of the middle and welding them back together.I'm also planning to add duck tails. I wrote about them in post #37.

20170801_012629.jpg
20170801_024504.jpg
20170801_024532.jpg
20170801_024545.jpg
So I got my latest suspension seat post operational. Its a bit complicated but I did my best to keep the mechanics concealed so that it doesn't detract from the flow. This is actually version 3.1. I had it set up last night with the pull spring and I was going to use two of them, one one each side, but I wasn't loving the look of that. T hen I realized I had created a push rod and I could do a compression spring. I had to rob this one from the Elfman. I don't think I would say I'm satisfied with this version, I think ecstatic would be a better word. It works great! I ordered some bushings and threaded rods for the pivots but I'm going to move on to the handle bars and fenders. Hopefully I can get them done on the first try.

Looks great! And appears to have the right amount of tension. I see one rubber stopper for travel control on the spring. Maybe one at the top to soften the 'rebound' might smooth it out a bit?

Fits the build well. RaT oN!

Thanks for letting us watch to engineering unfold!
Way cool!

Love the lines and the look! Over the top, but curious as to what it weighs. Rolling art for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back