Lady in the lake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was busy feeling sorry for myself for not finishing my build-off bike, my sister asked me if I could build something new for her to cruise to the beach with her friends. I built her a beach cruiser that matched her Harley a couple of years ago but lately she's gotten into the rat rod thing and wanted to know if I could do up a bike to look old and ratty... :mrgreen:

A few years back my kid dragged this thing out of the lake near us
connierat001.jpg

Turns out one of the older trouble maker kids that lived in this neighborhood had jumped it in there...about 12 years ago! Needless to say every single part on it was rusted solid. Time to break out the PB Blaster and the big hammers. The headbadge has a barely visible jet on it and I think it says Jet...anyone have a clue as to what it is or how old it might be. It has a Perry rear hub if that helps. I've gotten most of it apart and rebuilt both hubs so far.

I've got a good feeling about this one. Rock it!! GTB!! Peace

Using tools and machinery...no problem. Building a motor or a tranny or a rear end...no problem. Rebuilding half the stuff in my house...no problem.
Trying to figure out how to get a picture from my phone to my computer...AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Man, I'm a doofus when it comes to technology. But, with a little help from my 13 year old I got it figured out. :roll:

ladyapart.png

The rear hub all laid out.
perryhub.png

These Perry hubs are neat, first one I've ever seen or worked with. I can't imagine any modern day hub from Taiwan or China would last a dozen years underwater, let alone be able to be rebuilt and work afterwards.

Seeing the hub disassembled is amazing... It's hard to believe that it is even something that would come apart.

REC

It's been too long since I updated this, but things have been really busy for me. Anyway, here's a few pics of the build.

What the whole bike basically looked like...lots of rust.
connierat002.jpg

I chucked a wire wheel into my cordless drill and brushed off the surface rust.
connierat004.jpg

I did a little custom artwork on the headbadge.
connierat007.jpg

I tried to true the original wheels, but the nipples were so corroded to the spokes that they all kept snapping. The front rim was really tweaked anyways, so I got a new set of black steel rims and painted them lime green. I got some new stainless spokes and nipples and rebuilt the wheels.
ladylake001.jpg

ladylake002.jpg

Nice work thus far! 8) ....keep the progress pics comin'. :D

Thanks! I did a mock up with the new rims and tires...they look killer but the tires are way too big and rub the fenders. Gotta get some smaller ones. I also finished the paint on the frame, forks, chainguard and fenders.

Well, she's done.

ladylake007.jpg

ladylake015.jpg

ladylake016.jpg

ladylake018.jpg

ladylake019.jpg

ladylake010.jpg

ladylake009.jpg

Original parts reused are the frame, forks, stem, bars, grips, seatpost, seatpost clamp, cranks, kickstand, chainguard, fenders and hubs. I had to replace the headset and bottom bracket as they were rusted beyond salvage, as well as the rims, spokes, nipples and chain. I swapped the front sprocket to a smaller one to make it easier for her to ride and put a white seat on to match the grips and tires. All that's left is to find a suitably rusty rack for her...and maybe a little pinstriping.
This is the lake we pulled her out of...I was praying she wouldn't fall back in when I took these pics. :mrgreen:

ladylake012.jpg

ladylake013.jpg

Thanks. There was a sticker there, maybe a bike license...too faded to tell, but it protected that part of the seat tube from the rust. After I wire wheeled the frame and saw how clean that section looked I knew I had to do something with it.

Nice, that looks sweet. I like that the wheels are the only thing with new paint. It would be cool to carry that over on the pin stripes.

Holy crap! That came out REALLY nice.
Love the flyin' eyeball.. Makes a statement.

How big was the grin on her face when you handed it off?
Any pics of it eith the new owner?

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Thanks guys. It is definitely fun to rescue something that's been left for dead. Rebuilding old bikes like this always reminds me of how good stuff was built way back when. I can't imagine anyone 10 or 15 years from now pulling a Wallymart bike out of a lake and being able to rebuild it into something ridable.
Roland, she was super stoked. I will get some pics of her on it for sure.

Really nice appearance, but the frame looks Ta-weaked! How's it's handling? Kinda looks like it got shortened. :D

I had a chance at an underwater rescue once but every part was bent!

Yup, the frame is shortened up just a bit, it was also twisted just a tiny bit sideways. I straightened it out side to side with no issues, and decided to leave the rest of it alone. It rides smooth as is, and the tweak gives it just a tiny bit of rake. I might have been able to force it back but I figured the risk of destroying it wasn't worth the 1/4" I'd get out of it.

Latest posts

Back