LADIES bike build off challenge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thin is my sister want´s a bike! :D
Bad thing is she want´s a man´s frame. :cry:

So now I have to build her a cruiser, and I can´t get in this build off...
Oh well, it will be interesting to watch, I´ll stick around. :wink:

So this is what I am starting with

It is a coast king or at least that is what is says on the tank. It has Monark on the seat tube.
coastking.jpg

I apologize for the crummy pic but all I had with me the last night at the co-op was my phone. I'll get some better pictures with my normal camera.

Oh yeah I'm new here, my name is Luke and I live in Urbana, IL

I'm looking forward to this

I was thinking about ripping the frame I have and repainting it, but it's such a cool purple color, I might just clean off the decals and try my hand at pinstriping it... I'm going look for parts today, will start piling them up and test fitting everything shortly.

Hot dawg, this is going to be fun.

I'll throw my hat in the ring if anyone needs a contender. Just PM with some smack talk and we'll get a thread going. :p

Walker said:
Let the confusion begin! :D

IMO:
I think a mini build off woud be easier to manage than pairing off (this is a cool idea though) and would allow for late arrivals. I had originally though i would just be pairing off with someone but seems to be more interest than i anticipated in this build off subject. Whatever keeps it fun and easy to manage is my vote.

I know when i need to be done (March 30th) but how about rounding it to April 1st.

So I'm thinking:

1. Mini build off.
2. Ladies frames.
3. No welding (as much as it pains me to say that, probably allows for a more level playing field)
4. No professional paint jobs (just DIY)
5. Completion date of April 1st 2010.

Lets have fun, be creative and by all means, if a rule needs to be broken, bent or ammended lets be flexible about it but keep it fair.

Oops, didn't see this part. How about since it's just open to any number of participants, you give a time frame for people to come forward who want to join in (say next Sunday is deadline, whatever). Start a fresh new thread with the first post listing the competitors, kind of an unofficial "official buildoff" setup, then let the fun begin. Not trying to hijack the thread, just throwing it out there to keep confusion to a minimum. What do you think?

If we're buildin' one "for the ladies", I'm in for it too. It'll get me out from behind the computer!(..and then back behind the computer..)

I'm seeing some great input and fielded some PM questions on this mini build off contest. First of all, i'd like to make sure that this is fun for everyone. Second of all I want to make sure it is kept as simple as possible.

There have been a couple of questions regarding entering non traditional "ladies" bikes (trikes, folders, a mens frame for a female etc.) Seems to me that most trikes and folders are step through / ladies frames. (So bighit, if all the guys with folders are too intimidated by your mad skillz to enter a folding bike custom challenge against the likes of you, then you are welcome to join up over here!). Gdcast, if you intend to build a "ladyish" bike with a mens frame for female, i'd be interrested in seeing that.

I think necessaryevil has a good point in starting a new thread up with an organized official builder list (i'm going to pick Friday the 15th as the official kick off date). This will give a little more time to those that dont realize yet how important it is to build your sweetheart a sweet ride to join up. Please PM me if you are planning on jumping on board.

In order to keep the Post from getting too mixed up, each contestant will start their own thread within the post and will "edit" their thread as they go along with build updates and information...(does that makes sense, hey I'm a mechanical engineer not an IT guy , i cant even make my avatar work :oops: )

The completion date deadline will be April 1st. It woudl be great if we could get one of those cool voting graph pages like the real build offs have so members can click for their favorite but we'll just have to see how the whole voting thing takes place.

I look forward to your PM's and will post up the official builder list on Friday.

Sounds good to me. Each builder only post one "reply" in the entire thread, but go back and edit it each time they want to update their progress. Nice, simple, clean, good thinking! :wink: Count me in, looking forward to the 15th.

Walker said:
It woudl be great if we could get one of those cool voting graph pages like the real build offs have so members can click for their favorite but we'll just have to see how the whole voting thing takes place.
You should be able to create the voting (poll) yourself. Just post a new message and somewhere at the bottom is the option to create a poll.

Gdcast, if you intend to build a "ladyish" bike with a mens frame for female, i'd be interrested in seeing that.

Many Thanks for the cool vibes!!
I don't wish to create any kind of trouble by entering a man´s frame, even thou it is gonna have a "ladyish" look.
I tell you what, lets first see if I can make it to dead line, if I do, I´ll post the snaps of the build and finished bike, If you guys think it can enter, great!, if not I´ll just brag about it the usual way :wink: :D

I'd love to get in on this one but the bike would be a waste. My wife insisted on a pink beach cruiser that I told her would be too hard for her to ride. I spent over $250.00 on it and she rode it once. She said "it was too hard to ride". So I sold it and bought her a hybrid. She's had it for 2 years now and it might have 50 miles on it. So Im gonna jump in on a different build, i love the steampunk idea.

Here's the bike I'll be starting with, 60's-70's Iverson. I've got plans for her....
IMG_3409.jpg

Yeah, I'm with Walker, keep it all organized in one thread. I do see a problem though, maybe Walker should make a rule of no comments on any of the "build replies". Because it's going to be one thread with each build journal being a reply within that thread, if anyone comments on something it'll be an entirely new and separate reply. Does that make sense? I think that's what would happen???

^^^Bringing a gun to a knife fight, eh? That Elgin is pretty sweet, curious to see what you do with it.

Latest posts

Back