"LACKLUSTER"

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 7 FINISHED BIKES' started by Critter1, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Critter1

Critter1

Well from the day I started my build I felt the pressure to get it done, get it done. Hey, its my first build off... Now I realize I can (kind of) put things on cruise control since there was obviously plenty of time to get things done. Either way, I'm just happy I finished and finished with the vision I had from the start. I've always wanted a Newsboy Special frame and when I saw it come up for sale I knew I had to have it for the build off. After that, I knew I wanted a bike in Porsche sepia brown with a springer fork, Jerald slicks, bobbed fenders, chopped bars, coke bottle grips and some BMX style stem & pedals. It was a blast to build, with some hiccups along the way that were handled with a little fab work and ingenuity...

In order to fit the Jerald slick on the rear, the upper and lower stays were widened by 3/4" and if you look at the pics, it looks as factory as can be. For the front Slick to be fitted (without rubbing the fender and throwing me over the bars!! That story is in the build thread..) the rockers for the rat-trap springer were extended so the axle mounting was dropped by one inch. This gave plenty of clearance for the springer to work with the slick. Also If you notice, Lackluster has no fender brace on the rear. I wanted a clean look without them so I chose to mount the top of the fender to the center bar of the integrated rear rack. The fender I used is a deep Monark fender which didn't quite fit the curve of the tire without interference from the center bar of the rack. A contour of the top of the fender was ground out of the rack's center tube until the fender fit properly, then welded up. The front stubby fender was made out of the leftover Monark section after bobbing the rear fender.. Overall, all of the custom touches to this build came out very clean, smooth and factory like.

It's been fun getting to know a lot of the builders in the build off the last couple months and I look forward to next years build off too! There are lots of great builds here and I gained inspiration from several of them. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of such a great experience!

You can see LACKLUSTER's build thread >>>HERE<<<

I want to thank my good friend Jenna Berry for doing the photo shoot. The location was perfect.
    Some of the pictures you can click on to see in full size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Critter1

Critter1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dice dots add up to...?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Critter1

Critter1

4. furyus

furyus

Fantastic bike and great photography.

Nice job, dude.

furyus

5. mocrawler

mocrawler

Re: "LACKLUSTER"

That bike looks great! The photography is awesome too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

6. Funkme

Funkme

Sweet,smooth n creamy all rolled into one...This bike suits you down to a T...Photos are brilliant,would look great in a calendar :wink: I think this years comp is not going to be easy to judge...

7. 65Slick

65Slick

SWEET!!!!!

8. Gold Street Customs

Gold Street Customs

Re:

Great job, THIS LOOKS LIKE A BRAND NEW BIKE!!!! literally if Columbia made a retro cruiser this could be a prototype, your work is flawless, I think we need a standing ovation smilie..

9. tvc15

tvc15

Re:

Better than new, a real dream of a bike, love the springer solution

10. Critter1

Critter1

Thanks for the great comments guys. Humbling..

Playing around in Photobucket:

[​IMG]

11. texasbigjon

texasbigjon

super clean build with a great selection of parts! 8) the paint combination gives it a really classy look too. great job!

12. RonK

RonK

"LACKLUSTER"

Great job, Justin! I'm very envious!!!

13. char

char

Such a cool bike. I just love that frame so much. That colour is one of my favourites in the build off. Nice work dude! 8)

14. jerrykr

jerrykr

Awesome, Excellent -- and +1 to what everyone has already said. Photography proves that a bike can be a great subject. Great all around!

15. yoothgeye

yoothgeye I build stuff. Moderator

I still think you have too much luster to have that name, but anyway it looks great! Wish I could pull off painting like you did. Thanks to your photos I have a new wallpaper on my computer... don't worry, it's not one with you in it, that would be creepy.

16. Critter1

Critter1

"LACKLUSTER"

Hey Yooth. Tell me which one and I can email you the 8.9MB high res pic if you want. Thanks for the comps too!!

17. ratdaddy

ratdaddy

outstanding, my friend. Paint is stellar and the photography is perfect. The bike flows well and looks like it was made that way. Good job.
    This build-off, like last year's, is going to be tough one to vote for just a top three.

jeff

18. Rat Rod

Rat Rod Owner & Founder Head Honcho Moderator

Blown away. :shock:

It's quality like this that bring joy from running this site.

19. Terry66

Terry66

Being a photographer, I total enjoyed the pics. I also like it when the builder gets in the picture....it sort of brings it all together in some wierd way.

This is one of my favorite frames. I love the paint/color. Honestly, I get so wrapped up in black that I don't experiment with colors enough. I love this bike and it is on my short list for sure.

20. raggedjim

raggedjim

Great job as I have said before. One of my favorite builds.

Good luck, Rg