Kustom Coaster III (Completed)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Kustom Coaster III

Painted the frame of the possible rear rack. Hanging to dry.
vuzepypy.jpg

The frame was hanging in the garage as the roofers finished the last area, so it had some dust and grit that didn't want to let go. I lightly wet sanded the frame and gave it a second coat of the flat soft iron paint. Hanging to dry as well.
ysu8ydeg.jpg

May be dealing with door art on Monday.
Roof and gutters replaced. One car repaired after the hail. Some window, siding repairs and another vehicle scheduled.
Yard art from swap meet bike that nobody wanted to buy.
ytumevy9.jpg

And that makes breaks 100...

love the soft iron it is a real cool look on that frame the rack color will look great with it! will be waiting to see the 2 mated!!!

Troy

Thanks Jats. Did some cleanup of mechanical parts and did some final and trial assembly.
a6ese4av.jpg
6a5erujy.jpg
ny8ypa7y.jpg

Still need graphic solution for door panels. Need to tweak truss rods for a bit more clearance. Doing some revisions to taillight. Ordered a. 21T S/A rear cog. Chain-guard should have plenty of clearance. Need to get some accent paint. Not sure about seat post. Here are a few mockup/assembly photos...
ezusenun.jpg
pyqyde9a.jpg
zyhe9uta.jpg
y8yzaqab.jpg
du9uge6y.jpg
mevuqy7u.jpg

Thanks for looking, Fun stuff going on in the build off threads.

Great looking mock up.
Just a suggestion, but once you determine the door panel graphics, you may want to add one of the accent colors inside the chain guard louvers to show them off just a bit. my 2 cents.
And you are correct about all of the fun stuff going on out there in build off land!!!!

I like how the chainguard looks on the bike
However i am afraid it may look out of place when the door panels are on
I would be curious to see how it all looks with the door panel and chainguard mocked up together

The rear wood rack i do think is perfect for this build
it mimics the wood beds of those old delivery trucks

that is one clean looking rack and mounts!!!

Troy

kingfish254 said:
Great looking mock up.
Just a suggestion, but once you determine the door panel graphics, you may want to add one of the accent colors inside the chain guard louvers to show them off just a bit. my 2 cents.
And you are correct about all of the fun stuff going on out there in build off land!!!!
Thanks, I am I agreement on the louver insets getting some color. It will help them pop out and say look at us down here.

MONARKofSoCal said:
I like how the chainguard looks on the bike
However i am afraid it may look out of place when the door panels are on
I would be curious to see how it all looks with the door panel and chainguard mocked up together
The rear wood rack i do think is perfect for this build
it mimics the wood beds of those old delivery trucks
Yes after doing the the assembly with the chainguard, I had the same thought. Also the right side door panel has to be in place prior to putting crank arm in, Chain-guard last. Also using a KMC 1/2" X 3/16" Freestyle chain. Hopefully the chainguard has clearance. We'll see down the road. Thanks for the heads up. LBS owner suggested using door handle as the shifter control today...

noodlenoggin said:
I like the stance of this, and I LOVE that flat soft iron color.
If I remember right we (my wife and I) looked at 7 different colors before we agreed on the soft iron color. I sprayed 12" segments on some old scrap pipe I had laying around before it finally clicked.

thebigorangecat said:
Looks pretty cool, and good thing you have that big-ole light in the front to offset your weight on that way-back seat post or you'd be poppin' wheelie's all the time ;)
The light is heavy and like you predict it may work like the counterbalance weights you see on tractors or construction equipment.

Kustom Coaster III (Stock vs Kustom)

noodlenoggin said:
I like the stance of this, and I LOVE that flat soft iron color.
When TinMachine listed the original 2004 Kustom Kruiser Glide frame that had been repainted green I jumped at the chance to get it. I already had a factory stock purple KK Glide bike that has a bit of stretched geometry and a comfortable ride. Thus Kustom Coaster III is being born. The three suffix was adopted for the third paint color, although when stripping the frame and fork, purple, white and green came off, so maybe it should be KC IV. I'm including a photo of my stock KKG. It now has a Nexus 3spd and Fat Frank tires.
Kustom Kruiser (stock)
upuza5yd.jpg

Kustom Krusier (custom rat rod)
9erubune.jpg

Re: Kustom Coaster III (Stock vs Kustom)

Door panel graphics still in limbo. Gathered a few pedal possibilities. Using a one piece crank so options somewhat limited.
a6ybyta4.jpg

Planning to use a Rat Rod Bikes head badge.
ehu5a4aj.jpg
7ytu2uve.jpg

Using heavy duty BMX Freestyle chain.
4u4ygaqu.jpg
sa6u8ysu.jpg

Starting point...
5a6eryba.jpg

I like the starting point on the door graphics. The style of the flames is perfect! 8)

Beautiful work on the flames!

cool mirror and cooler flames!!!!

Troy

Latest posts

Back