Kustom Coaster III (Completed)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Kustom Coaster III (Paint Forthcoming)

Tested new paint options,
Aged Copper
yja3yje3.jpg

Satin Oregano
arupetar.jpg

Flat Soft Iron
y2atada3.jpg
ada7yda9.jpg

The copper looks pretty good but might conflict with copper bits...might use it for fork and chainguard. I think the Soft Iron for the frame may get the look I had in mind. Not to black, not to gray, sort of looks like raw steel.
Comments welcomed.

Re: Kustom Coaster III

Aged Copper fork trial
ja7ametu.jpg
u8y2egyq.jpg

Also on chainguard...accents & graphics may follow
qydemuge.jpg

Mockup test in progress...borrowed a BOA tire for a size comparison on the 1.5" wide green rims. The black wall Intense tires inflate to 2.3" width. The BOA's inflate to a little over 2.5" and add about an 1" to the O.D. of wheel assembly. This was a test on whether to order a set of black walls from LBS. I was wanting more beef to tires.
3y5avytu.jpg
yjyva4as.jpg

Now I'm thinking the creme color might work with the copper bits and rims. The frame is yet to get the Flat Soft Iron color pending fabrication of "door panels".
So any comments on tires or tire color? The rack is just an idea at this point.
ytuvu5e2.jpg
gybuhugu.jpg

MplsCoaster said:
The white tires kinda make the other colors pop
Like the lower springs on the truss rods idea, very creative
Hey thanks! Think I've decided to try the creme BOA's. Hope to get started on the door panels this week.
Roof replacement under contract and first car goes to shop Monday.
Worked on the taillight mounting to night and rough mounted the rear rack.
e3aru9us.jpg
yva8a5e2.jpg
hu9uquva.jpg

Rack
eguzy4ud.jpg
3evare8a.jpg

Panel mockups on the way...aluminum sheet 0.040. Got enough material for a screwup or two.
y2ymequm.jpg
vumu6are.jpg
yhe5a7es.jpg

Picked up the other BOA-G from PorkChoppd Custom Bicycles.

fordsnake said:
I'm digging that headlight...I need something like that for my build.
Thanks, just a few parts that fit together. LED light, copper bowl, copper mold, glass insulator, brass sheet metal screws.
ynyja7ag.jpg

Taillight bits also
pyqu7e9y.jpg

I like the creme boas on the green rims as well. Great combo!

Thanks Randy! BOA-Gs it is KingFish...for now anyway. Have thought about revising the build name Kim. Worked on door panels today after a 20 mile ride this AM.

Fine tuned the cardboard template. I put two pieces of aluminum together with three screws to make one cutting. The aluminum came from a surplus outlet, and I think it had been heat treated since it ate up my blades.
abuderuj.jpg
a7yze3u4.jpg
6ymu8a9e.jpg

After cutting the panels had to do some trimming to get them to fit. Still need to deburr and smooth edges. Did some mockup with frame.
sudamu2y.jpg
bumuneba.jpg

Had to make both sides match so left side helped out right.
epasegug.jpg
e5u6ysy3.jpg
7y7uhuge.jpg

Most people seem to be doing tanks, so under the shade trees here I'm doing faux doors. More to come...later

aka_locojoe said:
That's such a clever idea that's going to cause some head scratching and question asking.
Yah, when I was younger I was just a wild and crazy guy like Steve Martin. Now I find the ideas flowing and trying to think outside the box. Life is short. I'm still thinking flames on panel, but another possibility is a retro business graphic on the door panels like you see on a lot of rat rod trucks. Something With a faded worn look. Maybe my "Ed's Bicycle Alley" moniker? A few ideas...
usuby3eb.jpg
9ese4atu.jpg
ena6y6eq.jpg

Latest posts

Back