Kona Cruiser.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....picked up this used kona 'humuhumu-nukunuku-apua'a' recently. for starters i'm just posting rerun pics from 'fresh finds', but i'll be refurbishing this over the next couple weeks..... :mrgreen:

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

I love these things! I've wanted one for ages. I like alot of Kona's bike for their dead simplicity.
Are you going to mod it?

jackdaw said:
I love these things! I've wanted one for ages. I like alot of Kona's bike for their dead simplicity.
Are you going to mod it?

not much, mainly a drum front hub w/better rims.

maybe a better crankset if i can do it for a reasonable price....

not going to be any big project, just some refurbishing. :)

well here's the progress so far after the aforementioned frame straightening......

some sun rhyno lites laced to a surly rear hub....

IMG_0772JPG2c.jpg

....and an arai front drum. no advantage to the drum, i just think anything that looks like a klunker should have one! :D

IMG_0781JPG2c.jpg

of course the fork brake bosses had to go. i think my hack/touch up/distressing job turned out ok.... :wink:

IMG_0778JPG2c.jpg

Very cool! I just got one of these in a trade with a friend, although mine's just a frame without paint on it...definitely inspiring to see one built up. It'd be a sweet Klunker project....hmmmm...

I was installing some pedals on this and realized it's been several weeks since I finished it and I haven't posted pics.... :oops:

As I said earlier, nothing drastic, but I did (mostly) straighten the frame and eliminate some of the things that bugged me, like the cheapo wheels, cranks, and brakes....

P10000782.jpg

P10000872.jpg

I did find out the drum hub had to be run the other direction to avoid really weird sounds when braking!

P10000812.jpg

I had a good old Shimano 7 speed era XT 175mm crank on hand so I used that with a Shimano BB, Sugino ring, and a Salsa chainring guard- now I don't have to remember a pant leg strap.... :wink:

P10000862.jpg

I've had this Bontrager bar around for years, finally found a good home for it, with some fresh grips.

P10000822.jpg

Merry Sales, a parts distributor out of San Francisco (they do the Soma brand stuff) has gotten MKS to start making these old school bmx pedals again. Now I don't have to buy Chinese knockoffs anymore. Only available in 9/16" though.....

P10000852.jpg

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it, what a nice rider.... :D

P10000882.jpg

Dang, that thing is sweet! Is it a 29er? 8)

Latest posts

Back