Kombi-Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off I'd like to say,I HATE MOUNTAIN BIKES! Twenty five or more years of this overblown bike style that has soaked into the BigBox montra as the only type of bike the sheeple should own, BLEECK!!!!
Now if you own a REAL mtn bike, and you go down real MOUNTAINS, that's OK. I just really hate the perpetual knockoff's.

Now to get off my stump. I do like the style of the Klunkers, however, and I had planned to put together one later if I found a suitable frame.
My older son thought it would be a good idea to visit an old quarry that we used to go to when he was younger and I thought doing it on bikes would be a great way to rediscover this place.
So I THREW together a mtn bike from parts that I had laying around, and to test parts for the future Klunker (see pics). Turns out it was fun to ride, now I just got to make it my own.

My neighbour pulled a girls cruiser and a kids "buddy" bike out of the recycle hopper and took them home. Until his wife saw them, then he asked me if I wanted them. I always want cruiser wheels but another chick frame? Uhh. Then it occured to me that the buddy bike has a neat curved section that would make a nice top tube (see pics).
Now to go get some gas for the torch......

clunk002-1.jpg

I sprayed out the top tube to give you a better idea of what I'm going for.
clunk003.jpg

Looks like you'r on a roll. Don't stop till it's done.

W :shock:W!!!
Keep the progress comming...

ponytailmike
mike

Got the scallop done and removed the handlebar mount. Looks like I need some new sawblades and a sanding disk. Those flapwheel style disk's really smooth out the ugly stuff. :D

clunk004003.jpg

clunk004004.jpg

clunk004005.jpg

Got top bar brazed in but ran out of rods, will have to wait for monday.

clunk005001.jpg

clunk005003.jpg

Top bar snapped into place, no jigging required!

clunk005004.jpg

clunk005005.jpg

clunk005006.jpg

Got the top tube and brake bridge brazed in and ground down for the most part. A little more sanding and it's time for paint.

clunk007003.jpg

clunk007004.jpg

clunk007005.jpg

Had to make a clamp to hold the brake bridge in place.

clunk007006.jpg

I'm using these bars, they're a good mix of MTN and classic riser.

clunk007007.jpg

clunk007008.jpg

Got all the sanding done and drilled out most of the cable slots for my thru the frame cabling. Found out I'll be mounting the rear brake upside-down so I'l have to cut a slot on the left hand side. I find cables really detract from the look of canti or curvy frames

clunk008001.jpg

clunk008002.jpg

clunk008003.jpg

clunk008004.jpg

Here's the mock-up. At least it's starting to look like a bike.

clunk008006.jpg

some great fab work on this one.
cant wait to see some paint on it!

blink said:
some great fab work on this one.
cant wait to see some paint on it!

Well I hope your're not going to be too disapointed,but, the paint this year was strictly commando. This was the last warm day for a while and we had high wind adviseries today.
So I really couldn't do a stellar paint job at this time of year and I went with the primer red with satin black.

clunk009001.jpg

clunk009002.jpg

clunk009003.jpg

clunk009004.jpg

Stem was something of a accident, third coat got misted with silver and I kind of liked it. Then I just finished it that way

clunk009005.jpg

oh no, now maybe this is my favorite in the klunk-off. really sweet.

It's Assembly Day!
Got the wheels, drivetrain, fork, stems, bars, cables, and rear brake on.

clunk010001.jpg

clunk010002.jpg

clunk010003.jpg

Found this thing at a recumbent event and no one knew what it was, then I seen one on a mountain bike. Guess it's meant to protect a seat bag from post clamp rash.

clunk010004.jpg

clunk010007.jpg

clunk010005.jpg

clunk010008.jpg

I really like how the drivetrain turned out. :)

clunk010006.jpg

clunk010009.jpg

Galtbacken said:
This will be a really nice one! I'll look good with the hidden cables, and I like the top tube!

Excellent!, I now have an international fanbase! :D , Thanks.

Latest posts

Back