Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ifitsfreeitsforme , if you use an aluminum handle, maybe a couple drops of JB Weld between the cheek and gum will give you that true tobacco flavor. And without lightin' up. Apologies to Walt Garrison...

So... why didn’t anyone say “good luck drilling your blade handle holes bigger Ian”?

Holy crap. My drill bits are just melting.

I may just have to assemble knife per the kit instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... why didn’t anyone say “good luck drilling your blade handle holes bigger Ian”?

I may just have to assemble knife per the kit instructions.

I wondered about that. That was part of my reason for suggesting the smaller sized similar bolts from the hardware store.

I have an old friend I’ve been intending on calling who just happens to be a machinist...

Or you could try to normalcy the areas around the holes with a torch.
Heat them up till they glow let it cool slowly and maybe do it again.
If the blade is in a metal vise it should be enough of a heat sink to protect it while letting the small area around the existing hole soften up enough to drill.
Someone else suggested something similar with a wet rag I think. That would work too.
My file wasn’t too bad to drill after all the heating to shape it.

@ifitsfreeitsforme Mr. Forme: are you posting any progress work in the build forum? Not that I’m worried about the rules, it’s more curiosity about what you are doing. I’m trying to peek over the fence, neighbor.
@OddJob Mr Job: yes sir, there’s nothing wrong with that. Decoration is sometimes the icing of life’s cake.

I had the same issue. Gave up, and just used the steel pins instead of the thick copper I wanted.

@ifitsfreeitsforme Mr. Forme: are you posting any progress work in the build forum? Not that I’m worried about the rules, it’s more curiosity about what you are doing. I’m trying to peek over the fence, neighbor.
Good point.

@ifitsfreeitsforme post your starting post, build name, and updates in the build thread here
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...des-challenge-2021-build-thread.113145/page-7

Oh. Sorry. I thought like the model kit bash we were all posting here in one thread. I’ll start a build thread.

Oh. Sorry. I thought like the model kit bash we were all posting here in one thread. I’ll start a build thread.

There is a common build thread. This isn't it. This is the discussion thread, ironically supposed to keep the build thread less confusing
Here's the link for the build thread
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...-2021-build-thread.113145/page-7#post-1169100
Perhaps a name change to better differentiate the threads is in order.
@Verrt @Captain Awesome are youseguyz the guyz for that?

There is a common build thread. This isn't it. This is the discussion thread, ironically supposed to keep the build thread less confusing
Here's the link for the build thread
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...-2021-build-thread.113145/page-7#post-1169100
Perhaps a name change to better differentiate the threads is in order.
@Verrt @Captain Awesome are youseguyz the guyz for that?
Sure, do you have an idea that's less confusing than the titles discussion and build thread?

Or you could try to normalcy the areas around the holes with a torch.
Heat them up till they glow let it cool slowly and maybe do it again.
If the blade is in a metal vise it should be enough of a heat sink to protect it while letting the small area around the existing hole soften up enough to drill.
Someone else suggested something similar with a wet rag I think. That would work too.
My file wasn’t too bad to drill after all the heating to shape it.
I had the same issue. Gave up, and just used the steel pins instead of the thick copper I wanted.

:thumbsup:

Currently status on all entries so far. In no particular order.

151353882_348736456253679_1380929245590147887_n.jpg

15F9DEEE-CCCB-47AE-801E-9F213D267ACB.jpeg

5c6fb35b2ae4d0aaed0657611bac8d69.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-082843_2 (1).png

IMG_20210201_104331686_2.jpg

20210218_012327.jpg

CC351B50-2AD6-4DBB-A82B-36E828EBF8E0.jpeg

image (1).jpg

IMG_20210206_171410831.jpg

0C9B1CCE-214D-48DC-A89D-C1D972E04B5B.jpeg

Let me know if I missed an entry.

I found this little spear tip I got free with a big chopper I bought. I have been trying to come up with a way to make it useful.
IMG_20210221_160701663.jpg

Handle is far too small for any real grip, so I made a few attempts at wrapping it. Only took pics of one version, I used a flat shoe lace, and I don't like the way it lays on the handle. I need some round cord that will fit through the little holes. Red would look nice.
IMG_20210221_164437574.jpg
IMG_20210221_164432903.jpg

Ideally, I'd like to braid or knot the cord in order to extend the handle a bit. If that doesn't happen, maybe I'll turn it into a real build and try some ill advised wooden handle scheme

PS that green masking tape went on the blade after a few attempts. Oops. I forgot that I keep these babies razor sharp.

I say don't touch that one. Except maybe a new edge and a clean.

Awesome, but they're not exactly rare. Some stalls at flea markets will have boxes of them (they always seem to know the nice versions and price them more than I'd pay). And there are some quite cheaply made ones out there, with extremely thin tangs.

So, if you have a cheap one you won't be able to do much with it to make it real good, and if you have a nice one you should oil it and leave it as is until the handle rots off.

If you look at the bottom of the pommel you should see a peened tang poking through. That'll tell you how thick it is under the leather.
If the pommel is threaded on instead of peened, that could be a bad sign. Might mean that the tang is a rod welded on just below the blade.

Now's the time for an actual knife expert to come along and say that that is the excellent original that all the flea market knives were trying to copy.

Here is an original:
20210222_102305.jpg
tang stamp :
20210222_101955.jpg
also: full tang ; pomel ,will be pinned.;
20210222_102049.jpg

I found this little spear tip I got free with a big chopper I bought. I have been trying to come up with a way to make it useful.
View attachment 151674
Handle is far too small for any real grip, so I made a few attempts at wrapping it. Only took pics of one version, I used a flat shoe lace, and I don't like the way it lays on the handle. I need some round cord that will fit through the little holes. Red would look nice.
View attachment 151675View attachment 151676
Ideally, I'd like to braid or knot the cord in order to extend the handle a bit. If that doesn't happen, maybe I'll turn it into a real build and try some ill advised wooden handle scheme

PS that green masking tape went on the blade after a few attempts. Oops. I forgot that I keep these babies razor sharp.
Put it on a stick, make a spear, hunt the moose.

Latest posts

Back