Klunker ideas..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna build a klunker style bike can you guys that have built them post your pics and tell me what kind of frame I should start looking for? Thanks for all the input. 8)

also check outAlan Bonds' site http://clunkers.net/ tons of inspiration there too.
here's one I put together last summer. 67 schwinn cantilever
261bura.jpg

I got a '40 CWC I'm putting together as one for this coming summer.
Put up a build thread when you get started
I look forward to seeing somebody else klunking around GR soon. 8)

So a clunker is a offroad beach cruiser?

JaxRhapsody said:
So a clunker is a offroad beach cruiser?

I guess you could say that, but I wouldn't. :mrgreen: The term Klunker is used to refer to the bikes that were built for off-road use that eventually evolved into mountain bikes. They basically used what they had, ballooner bikes and they used whatever parts they could to make them beefy. They mostly did downhills with them, if you really want to know more, rent the movie Klunkerz, it will school you.

Once you check out these posts, you see that the beach cruiser style frame is the common ingredient. Front brakes may be drum or rim. Drive trains were single speed, derailleur and internal hub 2 and 3 speeds. Stock forks, springer forks and fork struts were used. As said above, real klunkers were downhill bikes, so they weren't concerned with climbing hills. My klunker is far from a true clunker, as I used an aluminum frame and some modern components to make it more enjoyable for trail riding (not just downhill).

Mikebike - have you decided what you are going to build? The klunker community anxiously awaits your new build.

'80's Schwinn I even got one I'd sell you.
PB070170.jpg

Also have the fork and stem from this one I could sell you if you already have a frame in mind.
P8240001.jpg

Got a 65 Typhoon thats gonna be a single speed bomber style, just trying to gather together all the parts. pics coming soon

That'll do! :wink:

What coaster brake does it have?

I have a Bendix RB1 that originally came on the bike I am going to attempt to lace it to a mountain bike hoop.

mikebike said:
I have a Bendix RB1 that originally came on the bike I am going to attempt to lace it to a mountain bike hoop.

exxxcellent......

mrburns.jpg

yoothgeye said:
No no no, you need a Falcon in that thing! :p

Don't be difficult!! :x

:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back