Klunker Frame Suggestions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a Klunker next. I defiantly want something with a straight bar look, and not too new. A neighbor has a 70s workman frame that he will sell me for $90. Its the one with the double kink down tube. I really like the kink in the top tube, and the fact that you can use a 1-1/8 thread less fork. But tires I want to use won't fit. 26x3.0 is the tires I already have for it.

Can anyone suggest a frame that fits my criteria?

clearance for a 3.0 tire
able to fit a 1-1/8 fork is a plus
Kinked top tube is a plus

Schwinn heavyweights are cool..., but not sure if they would work. The workman frame would be great, if it would fit a bigger tire.

Whaddya mean... it'll fit!!!

image.jpeg

Its been my experience that not to many bikes will take a 26x3 tire without some stretching of the stays though I have found some CWC and Colson frames that took them without a problem, just some gentle messaging .
Here @ Rat Rod Bikes we make the sheet feet:grin:
Mark

I think for the styling you want, I'd go with CWC. I'm not sure where you live, but if you have any swap meets coming up nearby check it out.

I always find cool frames inexpensively at swaps.

I think for the styling you want, I'd go with CWC. I'm not sure where you live, but if you have any swap meets coming up nearby check it out.

I always find cool frames inexpensively at swaps.

I am in SoCal.

Does anyone know if the head tube on a CWC is the same size as a worksman? Where you can mix and match a headset together to fit a 1-1/8 fork....

Last edited:
And I don't mind doing some frame massaging, but if it has Patina, I want to preserve it....

Thanks Falstaff,

Does anyone know if the head tube on a CWC is the same size as a worksman? Where you can mix and match a headset together to fit a 1-1/8 fork....

And what price range am I looking at reasonably for a frame? ~$100?

I just went and measured the tires I want to use. Mounted on a 13/16 internal width rim, the tires are 2-3/4 wide at the widest spot. But I wouldn't mind running some wide vintage rims, so I could see a real width of 3 to 3-1/4.

I'm starting to think that what I am looking for exactly, may not exhist.

1. Accept a BIG tire
2. Accept a 1-1/8 fork
3. Straight bar look

I may be looking at chopping up a frame....

Maybe the neighbors worksman frame for $90 is my best bet. It at least covers 2 of my requests...

For just a frame, I guess that all depends on the seller and what you're willing to spend.
I usually get them at swaps for $40-$60.

Did you check the for sale thread? Chuck had a Schwinn heavy duti you might like.

I just checked my worksman fleet, 2.5" could work if you have the ability to remove the braces and braze in new ones it shouldnt be too bad to get the room you need with the skinny rims. The old schwinns seem to have the same room as a worksman. The Schwinn heavy duti would be the easiest solution though. All of the above can take 1 1/8. I don't know anything about the CWC stuff.

Thanks for the reply James. 2.5 isn't big enough though. I'm looking at a heavy duty frame now...

I think so too!

And Im a buit glad that I didn't end up with a vintage frame, now I have more freedom mentally on the build.
The Schwinn CHD frame has a lot of potential; i'd suggest using a fork with a 440mm or greater axle-to-crown measurement, to help get that BB shell off the ground a l'il bit.

Latest posts

Back