KLUNKER DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Klunker b/o

just throwing this out there, but can we get a definition of "Klunker" I know people say search it on the site but it doesnt give me much of an idea. I probably wont enter this one because I need to finish something else first........

Yeah.... I always thought that a Klunker referred to a old bike with a modern drivetrain. It wasn't until I found this site that I learned what a real "klunker" was. If you want to know about Klunkers click on the banner add for the Klunkers DVD thats on the top of the page. There is lots of cool footage and info on the whole Klunkin movement and how it all began. And as far as what a "Klunker" is..... man who cares. That gets back to the same as what is a "Rat Rod"..... You should worry about what you want the bike to do and how you want the bike to look. If it doesnt fit into the cookie cutter mold of what someone else says is a "_______" well who cares.... As far as Im concerned any bike is not a mountain bike but modified to be used on rough terrain is a Klunker, what makes it a Klunker is that fact that you desided it to call it one. (within reason of course... you couldn't build a Burrito or a chopper and call it a Klunker very well, you get the idea)

Im gonna build a bike for this build off.... And Its not going to really be a Klunker, At least as I undrestand them. But its what I want.... And Im excited about it. Its not going to be a Klunker because it will have a derailure, modern wheels, good brakes and a suspension fork.... Klunkers had coaster brakes and ballooner wheels... because thats all they had!

Anyway personally I think Klunkers are one of the coolest and most versital off all custom bike category's. Without the klunker movement the whole world would be a diffrent place. Those guys literally changed biking as we know it on such a massive scale, can you imagine a world without the mountain bike? Even though I would guess most of the members of this forum are not hard core Mt bikers you have to see that without mountain bikes the whole bike economy would only be a very small fraction of what it its today. I bet well over half of all bikes sold would fit in Mt bike catagory... and its all because of some guy bombin down a hill on a old pre war schwinn at insane speeds.... with nothin but a coaster brake and a prayer!

Can I use my Build Off bike? It's already painted and I'd just have to swap out a few parts. Just being lazy :roll:

myself, i don't care, anybody else want to chime in on this. it's for fun so lets see what ya can do with it this time

Outlaw 8)

i think that the build off should have to be done with a new bike, not necessarily new but something that u havent already made a build off bike out of. but then again who am i to talk, i didnt even enter the last BBO, i was too much of a noob then and joined about 3weeks before the deadline. but im definately down for the klunker build off. not trying to make ya sad in the pants bigred, but a build off really shows a bike builders talent and is an expression of the builders ideas. and if you use a bike that youve already built, then thats just too easy. hope i didnt hurt anyones feelings, wasnt goin for that. just my 2cents.

also-

is there any real rules to this build off? i know were supposed to build it as we would think of a klunker, im thinking for mine going with a new school meet old school mtb bike/ klunker look. im really looking forward to being a part of this though!

Easy E

elvis51 said:
...is there any real rules to this build off? i know were supposed to build it as we would think of a klunker, im thinking for mine going with a new school meet old school mtb bike/ klunker look. im really looking forward to being a part of this though!

Easy E

no rules ... just bikes ... no criteria ... just build what you think a klunker is :wink:

elvis, just do it. no rules in this. have fun with it. thats what this is all about. get er done dude

Outlaw 8)

thanks guys!! does anybody agree with me on the first part of my last post? abot using a fresh bike? man i cannot wait to get started on this build!!

Easy E

I think I'll get in on this one also.

I have a 16" cantilever Mongoose frame with a derailuer hanger and canti posts on it. I think I'll do it up as a single chainring, 7 speed rear rig. Suspension fork, v brakes blah blah blah.

It will be almost entirely black.

62H

elvis, no i do not agree with you on the first part of the last post. we are doing this for the fun of it. no rules. i don't care what ya use, just build something that ya will really like an then ride the wheels off of it.lol. this is to be fun, no cripeing or what ya all think should be done. its called FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN . GOOD ,YA GOT IT. BUILD BUILD BUILD. lol

Outlaw :lol:

After watching the Klunkerz DVD, I agree, there can't be rules, that would kinda against the counter-culture spirit of the original Klunkerz. Also, there isn't really a set definition of what klunker bike should be like, because the style changed over the years, as they tried out new technology and different components. I even saw some bikes in the film footage that had banana seats, and even some with ape-hangers!

Anything goes, as long as you can ride it down the side of a hill, I suppose :wink:

As some of you might have noticed, I'm in. I got this bike 2 weeks ago for $10 and I almost didn't take it. Space is a premium for me right now. No rules is great, nuff said, let's build.

"I try to get out and they bring me right in..."- Pacino in Godfather 3 (I think)

you are totally right, they changed every year and the mtb movement is still changing. just look at the mtb we have today,wow.

Outlaw 8)

klunker.jpg

Spotted this at the TDF.

Just got a package today from Billy Savage....creator of the move Klunkerz.

Looks like I'll have a couple of nifty give-aways for the winner....a signed DVD of the movie. :mrgreen:

Rat Rod said:
Just got a package today from Billy Savage....creator of the move Klunkerz.

Looks like I'll have a couple of nifty give-aways for the winner....a signed DVD of the movie. :mrgreen:

Wow! that's pretty cool. Looking at all the cool entries has got me itching to finally start my own build.

I might jump in with a bike towards the end, I have most of the parts gathered up but not much time on my hands. Lots of business obligations, a grandbaby due the end of the month and my oldest son is getting married in November. You know... the usual stuff
:mrgreen:

i am diggin this build, wow we have alot of great bikes in this. anymore going to join us? come on, ya all know ya want too. get it done.

Outlaw :D

Latest posts

Back