KLUNKER BUILD-OFF

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Klunker?

DUDE! so am I, so pumped right now! Can't wait to start building mine up! what kinda bike are you rockin?

I'm working on a ratty '84 Mongoose Californian Chopper. Haven't seen it done yet so I figure I'll do it. In the process of painting now but might stretch the frame a bit but here's the mock up.
Here it is when I first got it.
001-2.jpg

Here's it mocked up
P7220021.jpg

P7220020.jpg

rims are already done red painted with full black knobbies and frame flat black, Thinking of extending the fork about 6 inches, giving it a little rake to make the chain stays parallel with the ground, and stretch the back a good 12-18 inches and move the seat as far back as I can to complete the look.

I looked up "Klunker" and still don't have a definite idea of what a Klunker is. Does it have to have a cantilever frame? A certain type of handlebars? Gears?

outskirtscustoms said:
I'm working on a ratty '84 Mongoose Californian Chopper. Haven't seen it done yet so I figure I'll do it. In the process of painting now but might stretch the frame a bit but here's the mock up.

rims are already done red painted with full black knobbies and frame flat black, Thinking of extending the fork about 6 inches, giving it a little rake to make the chain stays parallel with the ground, and stretch the back a good 12-18 inches and move the seat as far back as I can to complete the look.

I have that same frame in black if you want it .Free ninty nine.

That0neGuy said:
outskirtscustoms said:

I have that same frame in black if you want it .Free ninty nine.

Hmmmm, I might work something out with you on that since you're already getting the huffy from me. I love having paired bikes in case I ever get ambitious and want to make a tandem or side by side.

The true 'Klunkers' are a pretty specific breed of bikes, and the guys into these rides hold that definition pretty tightly.

You want an old DX, or panther style straight bar frame, preferrably pre-war ie very late 30's to early 40's. Most guys want that old well worn stock paint on them. Anyone that is building a kluncker needs to go to this website:

http://www.clunkers.net/

and I would recommed the movie, yes there is a movie about these, Klunkerz. It's a real good history lesson. There is a trailer on you-tube to give you a taste.

Rich

those bars look like something I saw somewhere else on here. Someone posted a photo of how to make handlebars by using the bottom of a shopping cart. That would explain the strange bend in them. Are they really heavy?

I just started a Klunker build!!! The basis for mine is a 1939 Schwinn/BF Goodrich streamline... Getting stoked for this one!!!
39bfg.jpg

1296642164195_DSC00030.jpg

This is gonna be a Klunker for the 21st Century!!!

That goodrich frame is a real beauty! I'm building a real bomber classic klunker and would love to join the challenge. Better late than never. I've got a real dx frame found a morrow hub and am ready to get ratty!!! Lets build some klunkers! oh yeah and my Klunker will be ridden on the real pearl pass tour when finished after this summer.

so this is the thread you were talking about...

hey jay, I'd be careful with that fork... They tend to go fork $$$ on ebay and you're looks really nice. I watched cause I have one that I got before cobra had a chance...

Latest posts

Back