King Krate

May 28, 2009
Central Valley California
The buildoff is ending a month before my OBC goal and spring break vacation isn't going to allow me time to paint and powder coat. That hasn't stopped me from riding this thing around town. It gets plenty of attention. Thanks for the support everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 20, 2018
Germany, Leverkusen
Why not take it to the max? One chain runing from the crankset to the original chainring and from there on the same BB a second identical (or other) chainring with a second chain to the sprocket? The first chain on the left side and the second chain connected to the sprocket as usually on the right side. Why not make use of the second chain since it is there anayway? I mean when it rains it should be pouring, right? :)

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Without a doubt, this is my favorite bike of this build off and then some.
What a fun idea. You can't look at this and not smile!!!!
Bravo man!!! You never disappoint!
CONGRATS!!

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
The Tropics of Alabama
I'm wondering how many people will think that this is just a plain rusty Krate in the voting picture. The small bike offers a clue, but still might not register at a glance. It may be too late to change, but the picture with you in it tells the rest of the story! It would be a shame if people missed this.

Reactions: Chad T and pvwacko
May 28, 2009
I told you I wasn't done but I'd keep updating the thread so here's what I'm up to:

Stripped down the bike to do finish work to everything and prepare for powdercoat and paint.

Cable guides brazed onto the fork.

Capping the ends of the tubes.

One piece kickstand rather than the stretched trial version.

Hopefully I'll be getting the pretty going back together soon!

May 28, 2009
Here's the latest update:

With most of the bike off to powdercoat I got to work finishing up the frame starting with capping the tubes.

Also added cable guides to the frame as well.

Lots of sanding and bodywork to get everything nice and smooth.

Spray glued some foam on the banana seat.

Experimented with wrapping the seat with my gold vinyl. Need more practice...

Worked on the lighting a little bit tonight.

Color coming to the frame later this week then patiently waiting the return of parts from powder.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
The Tropics of Alabama
I have found that the aerosol can glue just doesn't get the job done. Even 3M brand that I would expect to be some of the best.

I took an empty paint can to a local upholstery shop and they sold me a quart out of a 5 gal container of professional grade glue. A quart was too much for the amount that I have ever used so you would be better off to try to buy about a pint. Spraying just a small amount on both surfaces works best but you can also brush it on if you don't want to use a gun (hard to clean-up).

Another option might be to get everything prepped and pay an upholsterer to glue it for you. But from what I've seen, you are very good with your hands and should be able to do it yourself!

Can't wait to see this finished!

Reactions: SwissGuy