King Krate

May 28, 2009
384
325
Central Valley California
Checking off lots of little pieces today!

Upper fender mount/brake bridge.



Lower fender mount and kickstand.



Front drum brake arm support welded to the fork.



Stretching the kickstand.



She stands on her own!



Electra spring has plenty of power to keep the extra weight stowed.



Still plenty to do... I should actually start on the chainguard soon! Hopefully my super long brake cables will be here soon so I can get this thing stopping.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
May 28, 2009
384
325
Central Valley California
The long awaited super long brake cables are here! Got to test out the stopping power of those 90mm drum brakes and experiment with cable routing.



Confirmed my gear ratio calculations by manually putting the SA in 1st gear and taking it for a spin.



Time to start building the shifter.



Got a cool idea today and knew right where my parts were on the shelf.



Broken LED trailer light trimmed down to round. Just need a mounting solution, battery, and a switch.



9V battery should do the trick just fine!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

tjwilson

Pro Member
Jan 15, 2016
523
2,196
58
This makes me smile every single time I check in on the latest update. Great stuff!
 
May 28, 2009
384
325
Central Valley California
I've been a little distracted this week but that should end tomorrow when I get the cargo basket mounted on the mini cycletruck (16"/12") I'm making for my kids...



The King Krate needed some chainline solutions so I cut up my very tired 2-1/4" BB hole saw and a 32t cassette cog.



Double drive for the Sturmey Archer



I should buy stock in KMC...



Still need to play around with a link or 1/2 to get the chain tensions closer...



Tomorrow I start on the shifter by cutting it out of the 1/4" aluminum plate.



Full day in the shop tomorrow so check back to see what I get up to!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
May 28, 2009
384
325
Central Valley California
Busy day today! Finished the cycletruck.



I spent the day working on the shifter. Started out with a stock looking mounting bracket.



That all mounted up as planned.



Next up was the actual lever. Laid it out on 1/4" aluminum. That pvc end cap will be important...



Slotted and mounted up. I told you that pvc would be important!



Tomorrow I'll get the cue ball mounted and run the shift cable.



Fenders and chainguard are the last big pieces to fab up... we'll see how far I get this weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
May 28, 2009
384
325
Central Valley California
Today was more little things but the list is getting shorter! Started off with cable routing for the shifter. Wanted to run a bare cable like the old 3 speeds. I used cable guides instead of a pulley.



Slotted the plastic cap for the cable to come through.



Keeping all the bits for my stem lined up like they should be.



Keeping it looking as much like a Schwinn as possible with a modern threadless stem with a classic curve.



Made my shift knob mount today with a set screw holding the whole mess together on the back side.



Getting really close now!!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
May 28, 2009
384
325
Central Valley California
Went out for a little Friday night fun with the St Paddys day crowds. Barely fits in the truck. Need to watch the overhead clearances too!



Laid out the chainguard with 1.5" extra to fold over for the edge.



Cutting the 36er rear fender down to the right size.



Experimenting with fender braces. I need rod 4" longer...



Rear fender just needs a brace!



The remainder is perfect for the front.








Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
May 28, 2009
384
325
Central Valley California
Today's shop time while the kids were at school was dedicated to making the chainguard. Here's the blank shape with my profile lines laid out.



Started by making myself a form for the step in the chainguard face.



Here's how it sits with the top piece giving me an edge to line up with my line and also keep the top from warping.



Straight portion went nice and smooth.



Had to modify my tool to fit the curve when I got to the front of the guard.



Folding down the straight portion.



Notching the front for the bend.



Welding everything up with my sheetmetal skills.



Needs a few brackets but a big success today!



Fills in the empty looking places in the bike very well! Can't wait to get paint and powdercoat done so I can add the decal!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk