Just the tip of the iceberg...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
After 20+ years being focused pretty exclusively on Schwinn Stingrays, I fell into some really wild opportunities this summer and let’s just say I’ve branched out a bit.

The planets really lined up for me recently, and since April I have bought about 25 bikes. No kidding. I was able to buy out 2 collections, and I just kept stumbling onto other stuff all summer. Out of all these bikes, very few have been Schwinns. Here is a partial list:

1970 Orange Krate, original paint

1967 Coppertone Fastback, very nice original (but needs a guard)

Raleigh Chopper MK 1 early bike, restored

Raleigh Chopper MK 1 very early tall frame, nice original bike

Columbia Mach 5 20/16, amateur repaint but quite original otherwise

1969 Murray Eliminator Mark II, black, restored

Foremost Swinger Mark II, goldish green, restored

1969 Sears Screamer 1, nice original bike

Roadmaster Fantastic One wedge, green red fade, restored

Rollfast Top Drag 600, restored

Hawthorne 24/16 just like the Top Drag, good original bike

And here is the craziest one of the bunch. It is a full custom that appears to be based on a German made Royal Sport knockoff of a Raleigh Chopper. It was built by Psychosirkiss customs of CT, and it has a long list of neat custom touches:

10 speed drivetrain with stem mounted stick shifters

Front drum, rear disc brakes

Springer fork

Spring mounted sissy bar with killer metal Iron Cross emblem

Generator headlight

Cable guides welded to the downtube and fork

High quality paint job

This bike rides really nice, and would fit a bigger person well. The gearing has a wide range, too, so it is a super cruiser.

This one is gonna be up for grabs, and so are a few of the others on the list above. I just don’t have room to keep them all, unfortunately.

20150812_200159.jpg
20150812_200301.jpg
20150813_190113.jpg
20150813_190124.jpg

I'll try to post some pics of the bikes. A bunch of them are stashed at my mom's house, as I am not able to fit them all along with the 12 Stingrays I already had.

Here's the 1970 Orange Krate - nice original paint!

20150608_184215.jpg 20150608_184221.jpg

Here's the 1969 Murray Eliminator Mark II. It's a nice restored bike. Don't worry, I'm working on correcting the seat and bar tape, and removing that headlight. EVERY bike I got from this guy had at least a headlight on it, most had mirrors and other 'stuff' too. I'll be offering a bunch of that stuff for sale soon too.
20150604_130157.jpg

Here's the 1969 Murray Eliminator Mark II. It's a nice restored bike. Don't worry, I'm working on correcting the seat and bar tape, and removing that headlight. EVERY bike I got from this guy had at least a headlight on it, most had mirrors and other 'stuff' too. I'll be offering a bunch of that stuff for sale soon too.
View attachment 13295
A holy grail bike amongst muscle bike collectors in that colour. I believe the serial # may tell you if it left the factory in black. It appears you are already well versed in this genre, however, so apologies if I'm saying things you already know. Awesome rides!

Here's the restored MK 1 Chopper. Has early style downward facing cable guides and herringbone shift console insert. This bike rides very well!

Reminds me of a Plum Crazy Dodge from that era. :cool2:

P1020945.JPG P1020946.JPG P1020953.JPG P1020947.JPG P1020948.JPG P1020949.JPG P1020950.JPG P1020952.JPG

Where is Psychosirkiss customs of CT,
cause a Goggle search has nothing.
Living here I sure would like to check it
out. That Royal Scout IS excellent!
Stevil

What can you tell me about the rear disc on the "German made Royal Sport knockoff of a Raleigh Chopper"?

One of those discs was gifted to me a while back and I have never seen another like it until I ran across your thread here. I have the caliper and rotor, and am looking for a hub for it, know it threads on similar to a freewheel. Any ideas on manufacturer, or who spec'd it on their bikes back in the day?

What can you tell me about the rear disc on the "German made Royal Sport knockoff of a Raleigh Chopper"?

One of those discs was gifted to me a while back and I have never seen another like it until I ran across your thread here. I have the caliper and rotor, and am looking for a hub for it, know it threads on similar to a freewheel. Any ideas on manufacturer, or who spec'd it on their bikes back in the day?

I don't have any info on that setup, sorry. It came on the bike, and I have sold it already at the Fall Carlisle swap meet.

Two things I do remember about it though:

- The caliper mount ran on a part of the setup that was very close to the ID of that large hole in the cast metal part. If you don't have that part, (couldn't tell from the pic) I doubt you will get this to work properly as the caliper will float / rattle around too much.

- It was an ungodly PITA to get the back wheel off and on that bike. The builder had modified the chainstay just to get it in there, and even with that I had to file the caliper bracket a bit for enough clearance so it wouldn't bind.

In the end the braking was pretty good, so if you can get it figured out and you have more room for mounting that I did, it should be pretty slick. My guess would be that any hub that's threaded on both sides should work, but don't hold me to that.

Good luck.
-Dan

Yeah thats what I was thinking, possibly an old tandem hub or bmx hub may work for me. Not even sure what I am going to do with it yet, but I did find that sturmey drum brake front hub recently as well and am considering doing some sort of build with these brakes. We shall see, if I am missing parts for the setup though it may be difficult.

Thanks. I've owned a couple and really love those frames. I sold my Mach 1 24/20 last year but I still have an orange Mach 5 20/16 frame that is a frankenstein I still ride quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back