Just can't pass one by...54 Hornet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Even though I have no more room, I just can not stop cruising Craigs List. This one was 10 min. from my house so I had to go take a look. Decent original paint and a springer fork. Wiped some dirt from the chain guard and can see the Hornet name. Took her home for $150 which I think is pretty good. Question: All of the 54 hornets I see online have truss rod forks not springers. Do you think this springer is original to the bike?? Is there a way to tell the year of the springer fork? Either way a good cleaning and some tires and she will be ready to cruise once again!!! :lol:

I think that type of springer came out right around '54. I looked at some Phantom pictures of '54-'55 vintage and they appear to have that redesigned Springer on them. I also saw a pic of a '55 Deluxe Hornet with a Springer in the '55 Catalog. The '54 Catalog is somewhat sparse for info, so you make your own conclusions.

http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/

RatSphinx said:
I think that type of springer came out right around '54. I looked at some Phantom pictures of '54-'55 vintage and they appear to have that redesigned Springer on them. I also saw a pic of a '55 Deluxe Hornet with a Springer in the '55 Catalog. The '54 Catalog is somewhat sparse for info, so you make your own conclusions.

http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/
Thanks for the info...the patina on the fork and colors match the frame exactly so I was thinking it is original..the front fender looks to have been replaced..thanks for your time and the link RatSphinx!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little more digging and I have found that this is a late 54..built Nov. 1st 1954 according to serial number...probably sold as a 1955 model. With a little more cleaning I see that it says Deluxe Hornet on the chain guard which would explain the springer fork...also upon closer inspection I can see marks where there once was a tank...too bad it was not with the bike, may do a homemade tank..

Also keep in mind back then a Schwinn dealer would put about any parts you'd want on your bike so it may have also been a dealer installed option. Great find by the way.

Latest posts

Back