Junkyard Wars, Bike Edition

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll just throw this idea out there.

I have a butt-load of bike parts and frames.

Anyone remember the old show Junkyard Wars? For those that don't, 2 teams were tasked to build something, they had shops set up in a junkyard and they scavenged all they needed and built in a day and then tested the next.

If another builder or 2 wanted to come to my house, I would offer up my "junkyard" as well as my tools and welder (we'd have to take turns) and by the end of the day (a Saturday) have 2 bicycles built. You keep what you build unless the builders want to try to "win" the other bike, like on Pinks. haha If a couple builders came I could just host or help on a team and enjoy watching others build.

I'd love someone else to be there to take photos or even video of the competition.

The only thing each team would have to provide would be wheels and tires, though I do have some to work with, if you had your own to start it could help your imagination beforehand.

The resulting builds would be posted on here and people vote for winners.

I'd cook hot dogs or hamburgers for lunch/dinner.

I'll just leave it at that and see if anyone thinks this is a cool idea.

aka_locojoe said:
Yes good idea. We probably have enough guys here we could pull it off.

Maybe you could type out a plan, format rules or whatever for such an event and then others could use it.

I thought that's what I did... haha.

Basically we need a host, now, the host can be in the competition, but he/she may have a home field advantage, maybe that's an obstacle the visiting builder(s) would have to overcome.

The host will, based on space and build fodder, limit the number of builders.

The host handles logistics of who comes, when they come, where they work, etc...

Parts donations are welcome, but mostly the host deals with this. Many of us already have a pile of junk, but if it happened at my house I would stock the pile ahead of time by gathering local junk.

As stated before, wheels/tires are the only parts that builders can bring for their build, though they can add to the "junkyard" if they desire, as long as it is not something they plan to build with. Maybe they can bring their own spray paint.

Host must be willing to let the builders keep what they build.

Time format can change per location, but in my mind builders would show up the night before (camp in yard, stay at hotel on their $$) or come the morning of the build, with a build start time around 8am. Build complete at 8pm. That's 12 hours, even with a lunch break, if you can't build a bicycle in that amount of time, you probably shouldn't consider the build. haha

As stated before, if the host isn't building, they will keep photographic records as well as play-by-play. Otherwise someone else needs to be on hand to take photos and such, another member or a spouse that knows a crank from a pedal.

Build areas will need to be separated so that each builder cannot see what the other is building, this will add to the fun. Build areas could easily be separated by a hanging tarp. Maybe the recorder can take close up sneak peeks or "working" photos and "leak" them to the other builder to add some drama. :lol:

I have to give my kids a bath, others can add their ideas.

You guys know, with video chatting you could do builds at 2(or more) builds at different locations, just have to find the right bicycle graveyards.

Re: Junkyard Wars, Bike Editionil

mikeeebikey said:
You guys know, with video chatting you could do builds at 2(or more) builds at different locations, just have to find the right bicycle graveyards.

This is true however the experience and comaraderie is a part you can't skimp on. Also, pulling from the same parts pile, maybe even "fighting" over parts adds to the fun. I can build bikes by myself anytime, building beside someone else, rare.

Latest posts

Back