Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 8/08 DONE! link to pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Link to photbucket
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o555/raggedjim/

Nothing special, but maybe joining the build will keep me focused on finishing one bike instead of working on 4 at a time... I have looked at the other entries and have little chance of winning, but hopefully I'll learn something along the way. Oh, the Junk Bros. is what my friends call me and my son after they saw me hauling 20 or so bikes in the back of my truck (insert theme from Sanford & Son)

Starting point will be a '61 Schwinn Tiger. Haven't really decided where I'm going with it yet, maybe a phantom (a bike that looks like it could have been an original but was never really made) based on a Phantom. Hmmm, Phantom.2? Double Phantom? Well, names aren't that important.

Starting picture as required. The forks are just there to support the bike, I'm in the process of removing the rusted wedge from the tiger forks. Grrrrr!

DSC00204.jpg

Good luck to all, Rg

Link to finished bike thread - http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/loco-cycle-by-junk-bros.61001/

Last edited:
Re: Junk Bros. Build

Junk Bros. I like that, no shame in the game! People are just jealous. haha

raggedjim said:
Nothing special, but maybe joining the build will keep me focused on finishing one bike instead of working on 4 at a time... I have looked at the other entries and have little chance of winning, but hopefully I'll learn something along the way. Oh, the Junk Bros. is what my friends call me and my son after they saw me hauling 20 or so bikes in the back of my truck (insert theme from Sanford & Son)

Starting point will be a '61 Schwinn Tiger. Haven't really decided where I'm going with it yet, maybe a phantom (a bike that looks like it could have been an original but was never really made) based on a Phantom. Hmmm, Phantom.2? Double Phantom? Well, names aren't that important.

Starting picture as required. The forks are just there to support the bike, I'm in the process of removing the rusted wedge from the tiger forks. Grrrrr!

DSC00204.jpg

Good luck to all, Rg
I tried using water for penetrating oil that someone posted in the how to section. The bike I tried it on was stuck solid and it came right apart. I couldn't believe it. Try soaking it in water for a bit.

Good place to start, love the name !!! I don't know if you've been around farmers much but there's a brand of grain bins made by Kill Bros. I always thought that must be the toughest brand name in farming equipment :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys.

I did FINALLY get the wedge out! I first tried the soak with PB Blaster, no luck, then I left it overnight with vinegar, got a small steel rod and drove it out of the top with the rod through the bottom fender hole. I would have been $ and time ahead if I had bought another one, but I'm not wired that way... it's a curse. Have to find a new top bolt, it is mangled.

Worked on making the Western Flyer chainguard fit the Schwinn. I didn't like the way if fit so I did some welding on the back of it, added a fin. I thought it looked pretty good, but my smarter-than-me teenager walked in, saw it and said "Thar she blows!" What tha? Well, call me Ishmael, it does resemble the great white whale... I'm keeping it, I worked too hard on it to change it!

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

Found a wheel set to use on this mess, and a couple of white walls, so I need to disassemble the wheels for paint. Still working on the overall theme, but I did a couple badges this weekend. If you haven't tried doing this, I warn you, it is addictive! Not Terry Jones or Axepul quality, but hey, it's a rat... I had a couple of badges from Terry, but in the spirit of doing it myself, I made my own, Terry's look much better, I'm not sure how he gets such a deep etch without eating through the toner. But I'm working on it!

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

Looking at some of the other builds, I'm gonna have to really stretch myself to try to keep up!

Good luck everyone, Rg

Gold Street Customs said:
Hey you are off to a great start, I like how the chainguard blends in (nice work)maybe after paint it won't be so ....whalish ? anyways I like it 8)

I love chainguards that look like fish... err... aquatic mammals.

Kids say the darndest things(yooth) and teenagers. Ha :lol:

Re: Junk Bros. Build 5-15

Well, I do have a plan to de-whale the chainguard, it is on hold while I jump from one part of the bike to another. I like to work for a bit on one thing, then jump to another before finishing the first. So it’s hung on the ON HOLD wall until I happen to realize I haven’t gotten it done yet (probably sometime in August) It’s all part of my plan…
DSC00223.jpg

I had a tank I got at a flea market cheep because someone broke the brackets off trying to install it. I don’t need no stinkin’ brackets! I made my own that hang the tanks from the top bar and lets me bolt the bottom part together. Welded up the screw holes, haven’t decided what to do with the horn hole yet, save for later… Rg
DSC00224.jpg

Stuck the front fork in, but it looked kinda puny, so I bought some brake line, snuck over to my wife’s grandfathers house, and after a brief, but decisive, wrestling match with a 90 year old man, he gave me some springs as a consolation prize. Don’t laugh, he’s pretty tough, I hadn’t eaten lunch yet, and I could have taken him best 2 outta 3.
Welded some brackets and what-not and, with a combination of welding wire and burnt flesh, fabricated a fake truss/springer looking thing. Still needs clean-up work (for me that means lots of bondo) and some way to mount on the wheel axle. Probably be saved until August like the chainguard.
Rg
DSC00225.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

I'm pretty much digging everything about this build... The Name...the whale... the homemade springing...Vary, vary nice.....
Just remember sometime in August means August 1,2,3,4,5....Finished Bike is due on the 6th....
It'd be a shame to let it get away... I am watching this one....

Latest posts

Back