Jumped in head first.......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a member for 3 years but hadn't posted because I didn't have any bikes that really qualified for this forum, I've just been lurkling and digging all the cool rides but the past couple weeks I think that changed. An old friend passed away a couple years ago and he had literally several tons of old bikes. I thought they had all been sold off until I saw an ad in our local CL. I recognized the bikes right away. I contacted the seller which turned out to be his sister. I've been more into vintage road and mountain bikes but have been wanting to build a Klunker. Thought I'd go out and see if there were any good candidates left. I hadn't seen his bikes in many years and all but a couple hundred were gone but there were still some diamonds in the rough left. I have no plans of selling anything at this time, the first Columbia is getting refurbished mechanically and preserved cosmetically and the silver Schwinn gets to be the Klunker. I have I haven't really decided on the others yet. I won't bore you with any more chatter, here's what I brought home.

IMG_2185_zps04mazvgr.jpg

IMG_2182_zpsdz7mmnrm.jpg

IMG_2175_zpsbzls0yo8.jpg

IMG_2177_zpsf5abuhs0.jpg

IMG_2174_zpsewyj4ptl.jpg

IMG_2173_zpsjar9icim.jpg

Just noticed the one laying down in the grass.........another score
Looks to be a curved seat tube like mine which is a 1939
Take your time cleaning and enjoy them !!!

Awesome - those 2 Columbias are just screaming for a WD40 / Naval Jelly and 0000 steel wool cleaning - then some new tire and tubes and your rolling. Original patina is only a 1 time thing !!!

That's the plan, no paint touch up of any kind then a clean and repack of all the bearings. :thumbsup:

Amazing... that 3rd bike is screaming for brick colored tires and a new liftime of riding. You did great, nothing like this would ever pop up in california... and if you ever want a paid vacation, list these here and enjoy a few weeks in california weather and take home a fatter wallet.
Id be at a loss not knowing what to salvage.. very cool way to start to get to play!

Amazing... that 3rd bike is screaming for brick colored tires and a new liftime of riding. You did great, nothing like this would ever pop up in california... and if you ever want a paid vacation, list these here and enjoy a few weeks in california weather and take home a fatter wallet.
Id be at a loss not knowing what to salvage.. very cool way to start to get to play!

I cherry picked from this pile, about 20% of what was there 15 years ago and only about half of the bikes that were left. Someone scooped up everything else a few days ago, I know the guy and anything worth saving will find a good home.

IMG_2159_zpsq31n4idk.jpg

00p0p_3KITxv1TWOA_1200x900_zpso3mggfjq.jpg

00R0R_kS0VFcP4iXJ_1200x900_zpsrvfp9nzu.jpg

Someone should be harvesting parts from whats left.. those gaurds baskets lights trusses etc..

The guy that bought what's left has a small side business dealing in vintage bikes and parts. He'll fix some up, sell some "as is" and part some out but not a single piece will go to waste, you can be sure of that and he prices fairly, no gouging. I was SOOO tempted to buy the whole bunch but just didn't have the room. Who would LOL?! I hooked this guy up with the sellers and I'm glad I did, I think the right guy got hold of them. This will definitely give his business a huge boost.

The guy that bought what's left has a small side business dealing in vintage bikes and parts. He'll fix some up, sell some "as is" and part some out but not a single piece will go to waste, you can be sure of that and he prices fairly, no gouging. I was SOOO tempted to buy the whole bunch but just didn't have the room. Who would LOL?! I hooked this guy up with the sellers and I'm glad I did, I think the right guy got hold of them. This will definitely give his business a huge boost.
That is all good news! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Now just get him on RRB! :banana:

Welcome to this crazy hobby, you have a great head start :thumbsup:.

Sounds like a good plan for your bikes. Good choice of the silver Schwinn for a klunker.
And top it off with a late 40's CWC that's perfect!

Maybe this will be your RRB BO12, BO Dozen, BOXII, BOCardinal. BOxcars build off bike? :39:
(clearing throat) Too soon?
What a great instant collection, just add water... and grease and...WD40 and...
Look at all the fun you'll be having now! Wheeeeee!
IMG_2177_zpsf5abuhs0.jpg

Latest posts

Back