JC Higgins girls ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Stoked on a good local deal. Better shape than I expected..for $50 it was for parts but looks like she will get built..
Project stripp-O-rella on the block.
Any info or ID appreciated.. can see factory pins on the fenders through the house paint and rattle can..
3 piece cranks surprised me. Love the rack and truss trim.
Hub komes(?)super made in Germany stamped 58..
1477698423769-988703567.jpg
1477698488554-682410195.jpg
14776985457701917485760.jpg
1477698605105-793448906.jpg

So, did Komet hubs come with entirely foreign-built bikes, I also see those 3-piece cranks? Did post war U.S. manufacturers ever mix American and foreign parts (that is, way back then)? I have a Komet on a Western Flyer (Huffy, 3H or 8H) but it does not look right, (but then what do I know).
Note the hub might not say West Germany, (not sure when that place was even invented). Does anybody make grease guns that fit Komet's peculiar grease fittings?

So, did Komet hubs come with entirely foreign-built bikes, I also see those 3-piece cranks? Did post war U.S. manufacturers ever mix American and foreign parts (that is, way back then)? I have a Komet on a Western Flyer (Huffy, 3H or 8H) but it does not look right, (but then what do I know).
Note the hub might not say West Germany, (not sure when that place was even invented). Does anybody make grease guns that fit Komet's peculiar grease fittings?
Mine is stamped 58 or 56 m but dosent mention west. It existed but possibly just not recognized as far as east was concerned to Americans at the time.
The three pice surprised me as well

Some say Stelber made these, I have also read that some think that Stelber may have outsourced not only the components, but the whole bike, which would be a 3rd party transaction. $$ :crazy:

I had a boys version of OP bike. Believe it was made by PUCH in Austria. Came with the same Komet hub.
Also have 2 of those hubs that came on Murray built bikes from the early sixty's.

The dropouts look like Columbia from what I can see. Maybe just similar. As for year, no telling because the whole bike is unusual, looks to be 50's but if it was made overseas, it could be later. Any batteries in the tank? They may have a date on them. It looks like a Murray tank. Head badge name? When you get to the original paint it may have some clues.

Well worth the 50 bucks.

Check the forks, they look like they were straightened at one point. They look like they were bent backward, then were over-corrected and are bent slightly forward. If no cracks then they are probably ok.

A couple of my first bikes, back in the 60's, had Komet super hubs, so they were fairly common on American bikes. If the numbers are the manufacturing date, I'm not sure but I will research it.

See if you have a serial number. Here's a thread that might help, from The CABE:
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/jc-higgins-serial-number-can-i-find-manufacture-date.10781/

Last edited:
The dropouts look like Columbia from what I can see. Maybe just similar. As for year, no telling because the whole bike is unusual, looks to be 50's but if it was made overseas, it could be later. Any batteries in the tank? They may have a date on them. It looks like a Murray tank. Head badge name? When you get to the original paint it may have some clues.

Well worth the 50 bucks.

Check the forks, they look like they were straightened at one point. They look like they were bent backward, then were over-corrected and are bent slightly forward. If no cracks then they are probably ok.

A couple of my first bikes, back in the 60's, had Komet super hubs, so they were fairly common on American bikes. If the numbers are the manufacturing date, I'm not sure but I will research it.
Awsome... Checked the fork, I think it's just loose, bearing race is not seated... No battery's in it... It's a big stamped Higgins rectangular badge with a v notched out its seen better days thanks again..
1477782516604-815752297.jpg
14777826108131547320212.jpg

Not a Columbia. I can't give exact details, but it's definitely a mid 50s import. They're not extremely rare or unusual even though only sold for a few years, at least in the U.S..

Awsome... Checked the fork, I think it's just loose, bearing race is not seated... No battery's in it... It's a big stamped Higgins rectangular badge with a v notched out its seen better days thanks again..View attachment 36917 View attachment 36918
On the bottom part of the headbadge, may have a "made in germany" in small letters. As noted by others, it's probably a Stelber.

Not a Columbia. I can't give exact details, but it's definitely a mid 50s import. They're not extremely rare or unusual even though only sold for a few years, at least in the U.S..
All good just interested in know what I'm playing with... Not hoping uncover a lost gem :p... Would help to know what graphics to look out for cause can see the fender stripe through the top paint.. I like knowing what things looked like before I go mess em up:crazy2::crazy2:

Some say Stelber made these, I have also read that some think that Stelber may have outsourced not only the components, but the whole bike, which would be a 3rd party transaction. $$ :crazy:
Stelber was a NY company, they imported bikes from Steyr/Daimler/Puch in Europe. As far as I've been able to figure, Murray was building a new factory in 1956, so Sears needed a fill in supplier. So they ended up with these odd Euro cruisers. Stelber also had their own badge, and later created Iverson bikes, which were mostly CBC/Ross, also out of NY.

Latest posts

Back