Jamis Boss

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Picked this up from fellow rat rod member oddrodal today. Does anyone know how to tell the year model?
A355E53A-2A30-4799-BE39-7D306A970197.jpeg

I had a heck of a time trying to find any info on Jamis numbers. I had a Earth Cruiser frame/fork and tried to find the year. The best I could do was estimate 1991.
Jamis might respond to an email but I didn't have any luck a few years ago.
Good bikes though.
70333_3aa3c8427bd396e10a98f93d1027952c.jpg

Thanks Wildcat. Yeah the re-paint doesn’t help.
It seems that the early 80’s models had the snowflake chain ring like this but that’s all I’ve got to go on.

I found the info I recvd from Rustygold back in 2017:

"1) Read somewhere on Jamis' faq that the serial number should be up to 10 digits and start with an 'H'.
2) Started looking for a Jamis serial no. decoder...no luck
3) Was pretty sure that it was asian made, as I think they used akisu forks...so, I thought I would try and find out which manufacturer made the Jamis Earth Cruisers.
4) Discovered, made by Hodaka...which I didn't know made bicycles :)
5) A couple searches later led me to this site...http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1042901-asian-serial-number-guide.html which, when I tried to copy and paste the pertinent info...crashed RRB on my computer at work due to the dreaded ISE.
6) That decoder, however, states only for pre-90...and your H1811 didn't quite fit the pattern (3rd digit should have been a letter). An '81, which this pointed to, would have had the triangle cutouts on the rear dropouts.
7) Look for other brands manufactured by Hodaka in the 90's, and check out their serial #s. Some Konas were made by Hodaka...found a reference that stated Kona serial numbers changed in 97/98 or so...so, I looked for pre-97 serial numbers and found that the first two digits do, at least, follow the 'H' (Hodaka) and '1' (year).
8) viola, 1991 "

Might help or not. Run your number against it and see if you get a reasonable answer.

hard to tell from the photo but the seat post clamp and the derailleur look incorrect as well. Some years have head badges others just had decals, yours is missing both/painted over.

I found the info I recvd from Rustygold back in 2017:

"1) Read somewhere on Jamis' faq that the serial number should be up to 10 digits and start with an 'H'.
2) Started looking for a Jamis serial no. decoder...no luck
3) Was pretty sure that it was asian made, as I think they used akisu forks...so, I thought I would try and find out which manufacturer made the Jamis Earth Cruisers.
4) Discovered, made by Hodaka...which I didn't know made bicycles :)
5) A couple searches later led me to this site...http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1042901-asian-serial-number-guide.html which, when I tried to copy and paste the pertinent info...crashed RRB on my computer at work due to the dreaded ISE.
6) That decoder, however, states only for pre-90...and your H1811 didn't quite fit the pattern (3rd digit should have been a letter). An '81, which this pointed to, would have had the triangle cutouts on the rear dropouts.
7) Look for other brands manufactured by Hodaka in the 90's, and check out their serial #s. Some Konas were made by Hodaka...found a reference that stated Kona serial numbers changed in 97/98 or so...so, I looked for pre-97 serial numbers and found that the first two digits do, at least, follow the 'H' (Hodaka) and '1' (year).
8) viola, 1991 "

Might help or not. Run your number against it and see if you get a reasonable answer.
Verbose... just cut to the point, sheesh! :bigsmile:

RustyGold- yer long dissertation is no help here. My serial starts with an F and no Akisu forks on mine. The forks do look to be chrome though. I hope they didn’t ruin it during prepping to paint.
Mac- I didn’t remove the brakes but only thing I could see on the back was 1000.
I’m thinking mine is an early model.

Latest posts

Back