It's Just A Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"You might think it's just a bike..."
https://youtu.be/b4LJr2ScvdY

I've ridden all my life and I'm now 57, and it has never been "just a bike". The freedom and joy riding gives me has made the bike greater than a simple wheeled mechanical transportation machine.

This is a great initiative and I hope for its success.

When I was up to 11 years old, I only got the cheapest department store bikes and sometimes $5 to $30 used department store bikes. When I was 9, I had a nice bike, but it was a 26 inch BMX style bike, but never rode BMX type riding. This is because I wanted a 26 inch bike, but was too small for a 26 inch MTB, so the BMX has a smaller frame than a MTB. My first nice bike that I got to use and ride normally what when I was 11. It was a normal, but older MTB with a 48cm frame. I got this one for $50 and a previous owner made it into a REALLY cheap singlespeed.

I appreciate any bicycle, including Walmart bikes. Bicycles are awesome and those department store bikes were freedom.

I've ridden all my life and I'm now 57, and it has never been "just a bike". The freedom and joy riding gives me has made the bike greater than a simple wheeled mechanical transportation machine.

This is a great initiative and I hope for its success.
I'm 59 and couldn't of described that feeling I get better .

Back in the day, the worst was a Kmart bike. I scrimped and saved my paper route money for months so I could buy my first new bike, a "mountain bike". Sweet dark blue frame, something like 21 speeds, a neon yellow (green? ) fork and bar, assembled in store. I was so freaking pumped, I decided to roll it off the sidewalk down into the parking lot and ride it to the car. Four inch drop combined with my eighty pound frame was too much for the rims. Bent and warped before I had even ridden it for twenty seconds. Not covered by warranty, so I rode lumpy rims for a couple of years. Until I got my sweetie, the RockRat. That is the story of the only time I owned a new bike.

Back in the day, the worst was a Kmart bike. I scrimped and saved my paper route money for months so I could buy my first new bike, a "mountain bike". Sweet dark blue frame, something like 21 speeds, a neon yellow (green? ) fork and bar, assembled in store. I was so freaking pumped, I decided to roll it off the sidewalk down into the parking lot and ride it to the car. Four inch drop combined with my eighty pound frame was too much for the rims. Bent and warped before I had even ridden it for twenty seconds. Not covered by warranty, so I rode lumpy rims for a couple of years. Until I got my sweetie, the RockRat. That is the story of the only time I owned a new bike.
Mine was a 21 speed from Target. What bike was it?

I can't even remember the name. Can't remember what happened to it.
When I was Much younger, Walmart bikes were the worst and Target bikes were actually quite good for the money. My mom got a hybrid at the same time I got the 20 inch. It was really good for a department store bike at the time. It had square tapered cranks and Shimano Altus shifting with indexed thumb shifter.That bike flew off a 70mph car and bounced across the highway. It still rode for several years afterwards.

Latest posts

Back