It's got a Morrow rear hub.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bike was given to me a long time ago and took these pics. Got the bars, stem, cranks and chain ring chromed about 15 years ago then put it all in a box. It's been torn down in pieces ever since.

No fenders, chainguard or headbadge. Had a registration decal on the tube, but couldn't read it.

Someone suggested that with the Morrow rear hub, it could be a Pre-war Excelsior??? Any idea what this thing is? What year?

I think if anyone can ID this bike / era for me that will help ozzmonaut ID his "Paperboy Rack".

Look where the top tubes meet the headtube. Not smooth like all Schwinn's are. I don't know what it is, but will bet the farm it's not a Schwinn. Gary

Wow, what a survivor. Need more detailed shots of dropouts, BB, fork, headbadge area, etc. The numbers on the Morrow hub have a date code.

The frame probably has a serial number on the bottom bracket. If not, look on the rear dropouts.

Most Morrows were skiptooth when new. The date might help establish if the drivetrain was updated. This bike has clearly been modified by the previous owner/s on several levels. The cranks may not be original if the drivetrain was updated but then again they might. Are they "doglegged?" Looks like they might be. Check the spindle on the cranks for any numbers or letters.

Whomever used this as a paperboy bike got tired of lugging around the heavy fenders and also seems to have very very likely changed the bars and neck. Almost certainly a replacement seat, too. Paper routes were started by the older brother and passed down to the kid brother BITD, and the bike went with the job often, or was sold to the new kid down the block who took over the route.

It may be a pre-war CWC... hard to tell yet. Need more pics. Look closely to see if it ever seemed to have a chain guard or not. Some brands didn't have one on economy models and a lack of any paint marks or tabs/holes for mounting a chain guard might be a clue.

Schwinn bicycles were sold at a dealer's shop and dept store brands were easier to get out in the countryside. The fact that the bike was registered with the cops makes it more likely a city or suburb bicycle, and of course if you are way out in the country it becomes unfeasible to have a paper route.

If I had to make a guess I'd say this bike started out life as a dressed up prewar bike (late 1930s) and soon fell into the hands of a junk man, and then had a second life as a used purchase when some postwar kid got a neighborhood paper route and slowly modified the bike for himself and possibly even his kid brother. The 1960s "schwinn approved" looking seat makes me think this thing had a long and hard working life. Obviously I'm just guessing, however.

One thing I'd say though with some confidence is that for the first three, maybe even four decades of it's life I am willing to bet this bike was ridden as much or more than it was stored. (That is until your lazy butt found it, lol. what have you been waiting for?)

Paperboy bikes were ridden seven days a week, rain or shine, sleet or snow. That's a testament to the mighty Morrow and some union welding shop in the iron belt. "Made by Union labor on American soil" is not something you can say too often anymore. Ride it with pride knowing that a lot of struggle went into that fact.

Think long and hard about each foreign part you put on this to get it on the road again. Why won't you have better choices available? Ask your senator.

Cool bike - deserves some lovin' which it seems to be getting, if slowly. Good luck with the project and keep posting!

Last edited:
Look where the top tubes meet the headtube. Not smooth like all Schwinn's are. I don't know what it is, but will bet the farm it's not a Schwinn. Gary

Good catch, I didn't zoom in but instead spat out the fast & obvious answer! :blackeye:

If not a DX, I will just throw out Manton & Smith as the maker that left raw unfinished weld beads in the headtube area. They did have a frame of this style. They also used more generic Wald chainwheels and other parts than bigger makers. When I zoom in, the joints are a little lumpy, but do not really look like the M&S weld beads I have seen.

Some other makers, possibly Westfield and Huffman, left unfinished joints on military spec bikes.

Have you pulled the crank to see if it is marked? Does the serial # fit the Schwinn style and number series?

Last edited:
Wow! A lot of knowledge here! Awesome insight kentercanyon. Now my lazy butt has gotta do something with it... (you'll make me feel guilty if I don't. lol)

I really don't think it's a Schwinn. Mainly for the same reason Gary said (good eye). The welds on the frame are actually brazed beads, with what looks like brass... Don't know if Schwinn may have done that in the early days.

For some reason, I keep going back to the chain ring and cranks. The cranks are dog-legged on one side. The chain ring, Doug, does look like one of the Manton n Smith Gold Eagle models that I've seen. (Assuming it hasn't been replaced.)

When I get home from work in a few days, I will pull it out and take some more pics. Those pics are taken of photos that I took when I got the bike about 15 years ago (before cell phone cameras).

So far, it sounds like the general opinion is prewar? Maybe late 1930's???

FWIW the dogleg cranks seem the same as my 1938 CWC made western flyer, which also has a Morrow hub. I think whatever it is, it's late 30s early 40s era.

At the lower left area of the lettering on the rear hub will be a single letter single number code, something like J3 or such, what is it?

the blade forks look like either Schwinn or i have a Higgins with them as well.
as far as the year or brand i do not know but id bet it is pre war by the frame style
but i believe they may be Schwinn forks of that helps
Sean

At the lower left area of the lettering on the rear hub will be a single letter single number code, something like J3 or such, what is it?
The number on the rear hub is 'P1'.

If I understand the Morrow codes correctly... They started in 1931 with the letter 'A' and the number relates to the quarter of the year. With the 'P' being the 16th letter, that would make it 16 years after 1931. The number '1' would be the first quarter of the year.

I may be waaayyy off base here but that would date the rear hub at Jan - Mar, 1946.

(Am I even close?)

That's what I see when I look up date codes for Morrow hubs - you have a 1946 hub there. The one is the month and the letter is the year.

There's no way to tell yet if the hub is the original hub that came with the frame, sadly but it's a possibility to consider.

Did you ever find a serial number on the frame? Some companies didn't make bike frames during the war as their factories were converted to wartime production. Back stock of frames of the prewar design may have been sold for years immediately following the war. It was Schwinn who popularized the post-war rear facing dropouts but I'm not sure how long it took for other makers to catch up. I'm thinking you do not have a Schwinn frame here, but what it is remains unclear. The devil is in the details.

OK... I don't want you guys to beat me up, and I've been ashamed to admit it but; when I got this bike and before I knew anything about it I filed down the welds because I didn't like the way they looked.
I had seen a really nice vintage Schwinn and I wanted it to look like that. (Ouch!.. I said don't beat me up.)

Latest posts

Back