Is this the same bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First is a picture of a Motobecane I found on the internet
greenmotobecane2.jpg

Next is the Kalkhoff I own that is in pieces at the moment
9A876F28-9826-46EC-B595-A4654228E1F1-10909-00000305E753D7F8_zps42cef9ac.jpg

It looks like the same bike. Plus I know Motobecanes used a swiss bb and the Kalkhoff has a swiss bb as well. I wonder if Motobecane made bikes for Kalkhoff? the only difference I see is that the Moto has braze ons for the shifter cables and the Kalk doesn't. Any low end European road bike experts in the house? The only reason I ask is that if I repaint it and want to put some decals on it, would it be honest if I put a Motobecane headbage on it.

Kalkhoff is German.
Motobecane is French.

Try measuring the main tube diameters. French bikes are metric. for the top tube & seat tube the moto would be 25 mm vs 1 inch for most other countries. 1"=25.4 mm.

o_OIt's hard to be certain from the pictures, but from what I can see from here,:39: slightly different components and lug-work (note the deep cut-out on the down tube to steer head joint, difference in chain guard punch-outs). The second frame appears to have a shorter front triangle, with a shallower bend in the bar and closer stem as well, seems to be for a smaller rider. The second looks like it might have bent chain-stays, while the first appears to have straight ones. Tapered seat-stays on the first, constant diameter on the second. Can't really see the dropouts well on the first one. At a glance, all OG 10-spds look alike to me too:grin:. Saw the quilt pattern plastic seats and thought they were both Peugeot.:headbang::rofl:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back