Is it a Stingray?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up a, what I thought to be a Schwinn Stingray for $20. I thought it was an early 60's model. After taking apart and looking up the Serial number, I discovered that the bike was manufactured in 1962 (B246768). I am not an expert as this as this is my first muscle bike, but I can read and learned that the Stingrays did not come out until May of 1963.

The back tire is a Schwinn Stingray. The fenders look like original fenders too. What I am trying to determine whether I have an original stingray or a 1962 20inch Typhoon that was ratted out to be a muscle boke.

In a hurry so I will follow up with more info. Any info is appreciated. Thx.
99b4fa0aa6fb0af7b4317146d63aa656.jpg
c31da499bc90a4647c3f188ac1bed33d.jpg
2e7a9912a2afa080d6f4936968cf2e51.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have a Typhoon there, but it was converted into a "polo bike" at some point over its life.

There are a lot of bikes like that out there, 50's and 60's Schwinns, and other brands too, that were converted to the Polo Bike style with ape hangers and a solo polo seat and sissy bar. I see a lot of 26" bikes that were converted too.

Nice score! Looks like a cool project!

"Pig Bikes" is a more recent term, not the original term for these type bikes. They could have been called "polo bikes" or "high riser" bikes, for the seats and handle bars that were being added to the bikes.

My local dealer friend told me that his father and uncle went to the Bicycle Dealers Show in or around 1963 and his father came home with a white Persons solo polo seat, Persons sissy bar, and Wald "hi-riser" handlebars. He added them to his 26" Murray Meteor. He said when he rode it everyone he passed on the street asked him to stop so they could check out the stuff.

Read a little more on the fad when it started on John Brain's site, good stuff here with correct history:

http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/brainhistory64.html

When I say more recent, I mean after the initial solo polo seats were out, when more accessories came out, and the banana seat was popular. I called his a polo bike because it was a 1962 frame...

Thanks for all the info and input. Where kits ever available? This bike looks just like a stingray. What I mean is that the fenders, handled bars, sprocket, banana seat look just like an original stingray and even the rear tire says Schwinn Stingray. I also read that the first, maybe the second year of production, Schwinn used the Typhoon frame until the Stingray frame was designed. At any rate, I'm ok with a Typhoon frame, looking Stingray. This bike is for my grandson who asked me for a vintage bike. Getting him ready for spring rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sticker on the seat post bar makes me believe it is a 1962 20" Schwinn American. Can't see the sticker very well.... just a guess.

I agree it's an American. The Typhoon in 62 used a twin bar frame, I think the 20" model did also. According to the 62 catalog, the other cantilever models that were offered in 20" didn't have that decal on the seat tube, or weren't available in red.
For 20 bucks you got a good deal. Someone may have bought stingray fenders, handlebars and seat from a Schwinn shop, expensive but cheaper than a brand new stingray.

addf2g.jpg

Last edited:
Same frame as an early Stingray. Those bars look like early Stingray bars too. Just as much fun as a real one to ride I'm sure.

Rob is that terra cotta red?

I'm not sure when Terra Cotta was made actually...I haven't had many early Stingrays and I am never able to tell the colors apart.

If I had to guess, I would say it is not, because the American ad posted has Radiant Red, which is the like the Flamboyant Red they used on Stingrays. I think when they used Terra Cotta Schwinn called it Terra Cotta in the catalogs.

Might be worth a trip to the Schwinn Bike Forum for that info, I will take a look.

Making some progress. Cleaned up the fenders and started working on the front rim. It cleaned up really nice. Will work on rebuilding the rear hub tomorrow. Will post more pics as I go along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like it cleaned up nice so far.
Is that rear an S7 or S2 hoop ? you'll have a hard time finding a slick or wide tire for an S7, so if you want a wide tread on there, might want to think about relacing to an S2 before you get too far into rebuilding the wheel ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back