Internal Geared Hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just wondering what others liked best. I love my kickbacks and Sturmey 3 speeds, but I also like how easy to use and reliable my Nexus bikes are too. In the past Ive always tried to keep old stuff and the old bikes and new stuff on my newer bikes, but I'm about to the point it doesnt make a difference anymore :lol:

So far I've had a couple of kickbacks, a few SA 3 speeds, a Nexus 3 speed coaster, Nexus 4 speed freewheel and Nexus 7 speed freewheel and the Nexus hubs are best by far. The 7 speed with the roller brake was probably my favorite of the Nexus hubs.

I never have liked the SA 3 speeds and I've had two so far that have been toast. I don't like the fact that you have to let off peddling in order for it to shift.

I do like the kickbacks just because of the fun and novelty factor.

Rat Rod said:
So far I've had a couple of kickbacks, a few SA 3 speeds, a Nexus 3 speed coaster, Nexus 4 speed freewheel and Nexus 7 speed freewheel and the Nexus hubs are best by far. The 7 speed with the roller brake was probably my favorite of the Nexus hubs.

I never have liked the SA 3 speeds and I've had two so far that have been toast. I don't like the fact that you have to let off peddling in order for it to shift.

I do like the kickbacks just because of the fun and novelty factor.

Ditto. I have have a 3speed Nexus on my wife's 1950 Hollywood so mix and match is fine.

I like Shimano. I have two Sturmeys in good operating condition but the Shimano is more simple and reliable.

I've had good success with my Nexus 4 speed coaster brake and I love my new SA 8 speed with disc brake. 8)

The Alfine 11 speed is due out this fall for about $450. I'm going to keep my eyes on the reviews for this one. :mrgreen:

My Schwinn uses a Shimano 3CC, and my Raleigh has a SA S3C. The best so far is the Sachs, you can shift while stopped. My bike E has the Sachs with 7 speed cluster, making it a 21 speed. On a recumbent, you have to gear down when stopped to get going again. The Sachs makes that easy.

My nexus-4 coaster has been the most reliable hub that I have owned so far. Not a huge fan of the SA 3 speed on my wife's cruiser, the shifting seems not so crisp as the Shimano. I am also running a SRAM i-motion 3 disk on my 29'er and apart from the absolutely horrible stock shifter it has been very smooth so far.

Right now all my bikes are single speed but my English Philips road bike was a Sturmey Archer 3 speed, kinda sloppy shifting till I had a buddy of mine re-build it ( I don't have the patience), then it was smooth as silk.

I'd love to get a Nexus 8 on my mountain bike, I'm getting kind of sick of bent derailer hangers. I do have a Nexus Inter-3 on my commuter and it's been great. Oh, and I've got an old blue band "overdrive" Bendix kickback on my Stingray, that was a fun one to rebuild, I love tearing into stuff like that and seeing how it works.

I love tearing into it to see how it works too.......only problem is it rarely ever works again afterwords.....lol

i recently replaced the nexus 3 speed with a nexus 8 speed on my rat fink. the 3 speed was simple and worked great for short cruises. the 8 speed is in a different league, it provides so much range. great for hills or long distances and really tranformed the bike in terms of usuability. completed an 80 kilometre loop of niagara falls recently, lots of hills, and it performed great.

i would suggest buying the hub that best suits the type of driving or terrain. 8 speed is expensive but worth it for my driving style, if it was a weekend pub bike 3 speed is the way to go :)

4915246226_7a23ab1af0_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back