Interesting stem shifters.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this weird stem shifters. They say Shimano stick shifters, but when I Google searched them, I get a different result.

Found these on a 70s Azuki 10 speed.
20210409_153648.jpg

Wheb I Google search for them, the only results are shifters similar to these, which I have seen on quite a few bikes and they are even on my Nishiki.
20210409_201157_resized.jpg

I saw this weird stem shifters. They say Shimano stick shifters, but when I Google searched them, I get a different result.

Found these on a 70s Azuki 10 speed.
View attachment 154248

Wheb I Google search for them, the only results are shifters similar to these, which I have seen on quite a few bikes and they are even on my Nishiki.
View attachment 154249

I am looking this bike. It’s kind of a UJB (universal Japanese bicycle), as most of them have roughly the same construction (rudimentary lugged construction, stem shifted, safety brake levers), but each have a few unique pieces. My brother’s bike had actual down tube levers mounted on a stem bracket. I have seen those shift levers on another bike. My brother’s ten speed (that’s what we called road bikes back in the day) had Shimano Tourney components, though it was far from a high-end road bike. It was handed down through each sibling (as my brother abandoned the AMF 10 speed for a Plymouth Duster) and stopped with my youngest sister. I started stripping it for parts LOL

I am looking this bike. It’s kind of a UJB (universal Japanese bicycle), as most of them have roughly the same construction (rudimentary lugged construction, stem shifted, safety brake levers), but each have a few unique pieces. My brother’s bike had actual down tube levers mounted on a stem bracket. I have seen those shift levers on another bike. My brother’s ten speed (that’s what we called road bikes back in the day) had Shimano Tourney components, though it was far from a high-end road bike. It was handed down through each sibling (as my brother abandoned the AMF 10 speed for a Plymouth Duster) and stopped with my youngest sister. I started stripping it for parts LOL
It is an an Azuki, which is basically a Nishiki.

Naw, they're not a Giant compared to some :dance2:

Okay- Giant is literally the Microsoft of bike manufacturers. Likely they may have built a few of those Nishikis. They made so many bikes for so many people, Schwinn being their chief patron.

Nishiki were prolific as it seemed for the longest time between the 70s and 90s, I would see at least one Nishiki on the list of bikes owned.

No USA made frames since 2017. Giant makes the bulk of the metal stuff and Quest makes the high end carbon

Makes me sad. I visited the old factory in the mid 90s. It was a great factory. I wondered when it would come to no more US-made bikes.

Giant has always had a nice operation. I remember when they were trying to break from the off-brand image and sponsored a UCI touring road team. I also remember their T-shirt sizing approach for their road bikes. And of course their bizarre time trial bike.

Latest posts

Back