Install GIRVIN Forks on a FELT frame ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UGH.

I am learning - slowly, but, .... the learning curve is killing me...

I had read where some other folks had installed GIRVIN Forks on their Felt Cruiser, so I thought that would be neat & LIGHTER too!

I bought a set off of eBay after GIGMATA stopped snatching them all up! ;)

#1-
bL1rTg.png

#2-
9eUruX.png

#3-
3cHddV.png

#4-
PVvtrG.png

#5-
fMEDgs.png

#6-
0JVc58.png

#7-
NNDzfH.png

The forks appeared to be missing a few bolts (M6x45 cross bolt for the head of the shock!)

I then ordered a SPRING for it via Ryan Romkey @ NuLifeCycles - that was an OK installation, but it is STIFF!!!!

Now I cannot seem to get the linkage to work in my FELT Aluminum cruiser frame!

It seems the FELT HEAD BADGE is in the way!?!

The bike HAD a 1-1/8" steer tube fork in it and this GIRVIN steer tube is 1 inch - I am guessing that a CANE CREEK (or similar) 1" threadless bearing headset would be all I need...?

Is that shelf in pic #5 of the Girvin STEER tube NORMAL? Does that require a weird bearing set?

Thanks for your helps! :113:

~Will

Last edited:
The Girvin fork is a 1" threadless steertube requiring a 1" threadless headset. The 1" headset will only fit into your frame with a 1 1/8" to 1"headset reducer made by Wheels Manufacturing. Basically it is an aluminum reducer that presses into your frame and the 1" headset fits into that. It is very likely that the headbadge on the bike is in the way and possible that the fork will not clear a 1 1/8 headtube when articulating. I would not know unless I saw both frame and fork in person.
The shelf you speak of is where the lower bearing race sits on the steer tube. It is purposely bigger than the rest of the steertube so the race is centered and held into place.
Good luck with the install. One of my favorite bicycle maintenance websites is sheldonbrown.com. It has diagrams, charts, and how tos regarding everything normal and not normal. Databases of seatpost sizes based on year, brand, model. How to make mismatched components work that are not supposed to. Basically a full time mechanic like myself still uses this site at least once a month.

SUPER BIG HELP!!! THANKS FELLAS!

After all the parts ordered in, I was able to cobble together a solution and get it all clamped together & installed! Pics will be up shortly.

PROBLEM SOLVED! THANKS!

~Will

Latest posts

Back