Industrial trike!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard that a factory in town that downsized had some 3 wheelers they didnt need/werent using so I tracked down a relative of the owner that I happened to work with. After weeks of trying I finally got one!
100_1461.jpg

Ive always wanted one but the drummer in my band has a son with Autism so Im gonna fix (rat) it for him. He doesnt have real good balance so this should work fine!! Now he can ride with the big boys!!!
100_1462.jpg

24 inch mags, front handbrake only...centerpull...I think Ill push my luck and try for a couple more!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

awesome deal and even a better Idea with the kid :)
I get lots of 20" bikes (cheap bmx) that I fix for kids here in town with out a bike
and when I got my trike awhile back i considered the same option but it was too far gone to really pass on.
but I continually look for them with the same reasoning

I'm digging the mags. Great score!

Nice find! And an even nicer gesture!

SAAAWEEEET TRIKES RULE !!!!!

how about a pic of the rear end??? wanna see how they did it..

be ready for everybody wanting you to carry their crap though

P4280027.jpg

Markm--I meant to say this earlier, though I'm hesitant to get all serious in a fun-hobby-type setting, but anywho...
I also have an autistic son. He's only 4, so who knows if he'll be able to handle a 2 wheeler when the time comes, but I am prepared to deal with anything. I was looking through a catalog of thereputic toys & devices for kids with various impairments & there were a few trikes in there & they were all over a grand! Some had special features, like pedals that move back & forth in a walking motion & seats w/backs like recumbents,& seat belts, but mostly they were not far off from your Atlas (& I know industrial trikes aren't cheap either). The cheapest adult trike on the market is the new Schwinn at around $250, about 3x the cheapest new 2 wheeler. We all know used bikes are a dime a dozen, but trikes are alot less common, so they're much less likely to show up at the thrift shop or at the curb. There are people, from kids to seniors, who for various reasons are unable to ride a normal 2 wheeler & may not be able to afford a new trike. I am a strong beliver in charity & have given bikes to the local free bike shop, though I'm too busy to volunteer there. I would like to make aquiring & fixing trikes for the less fortunate my mission in the not-so-distant future. If I worked w/a non-profit, maybe I/we could get donations from the large corporations who are constantly downsizing--there's possibly 1,000's of industrial trikes around here, but less & less industrial jobs every day. Also, my crusty build off trike is my 1st step in making an "anti-granny" trike--most of us here know 3 wheels are at least as hip as 2, if not more so--but no one should be embarrased to ride a trike. I am reminded of this because of one of my dad's freinds, who is technically a senior (62+) needs to ride for his health, but because of meds he's on, a fall from a 2 wheeler could be lethal. He wouldn't be caught dead (sorry) on a granny trike, but I bet he wouldn't mind a rat/hot rod/kustom trike. Another of his freinds, the same age, is needing a walker, so he's going to get one pinstriped! As for the kids, we've all seen lowrider trikes & that Atlas looks like a 3 wheeled bmx. So the more cool trikes we build, the less anyone should be ashamed to need to ride one, dig?

3 wheels 4 ever!

right on emmanon. I might get another one free....Ill keep you posted. My buddy took the trike Sat. and gave it to his boy. He was quite happy!!! :D :D :D

Emanon,

I can't help you with the trike situation, but I can encourage you in your concerns regarding your sons ability to ride a bike. My 12 yo daughter is "moderately" autistic and went through a few years of sensory integration therapy, ages 3-5 roughly. It took her forever (it seemed) to learn to ride on two wheels (I never really let her use training wheels). She'd get so discouraged or scared of crashing, but I kept having her try and practice whenever her interest was serious. She started riding on her own two years ago and while she's not "taking it off any rad jumps" she loves to ride and it's one of our favorite activities to do together. I taught her to follow the rules of the road and keep to a good line, and I trust her to ride safely on her own on our rural roads. This summer we participated in our first group ride together on our old Huffy Daisy tandem. Thirteen miles on the single speed, coaster brake "tankdem" in the rain. We got so many kudos from folks who said they were inspired by our old school ride. What a trooper, I was so proud of her! She's looking forward to doing it again next year and we're going to try a longer (30 mile) loop, again on the tankdem. She's outgrowing her Redline BMX and I'm trying to convince her that she's ready to try a multi-gear ride.

Your son will make it too and you'll have a lifetime of fun riding experiences together!

Emanon.. I know where theres a bunch of trikes at.. Idk if they use them.. We need 2 get together and go "there" and see if we cant get 1 or 2 of them.. The look like worksmens... PM Me.

Latest posts

Back