I'm thinking Elgin?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking bike! It looks very similar to my wife's 53 J.C Higgins. It's a Murray made frame. Look on the bottom of the crank housing for the serial numbers. If it has MO? stamped in it,then you have a Murray Ohio frame. The third letter tells the year. R is 52, S is 53 and so on. It should also have an MOS stamped on there somewhere which is the Sears designation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

@The_Black_Monark nailed this ID above; that's a postwar Westfield (Columbia) frame, right there.... and a killer-looking bike. Most of the Sears Elgins were either Westfield- or Murray-built; the Sears JC Higgens bikes were the same, plus other builders...

That's a great way to get and keep a bike, passed down through the family.
Now, who got that fender less '49 Chevy?;)
I just picked up another bike today that the original owner says he remembers his mother riding in 1939. I'm actually 3rd party to the story and got it in a trade, but those back stories are a joy to hear.
It's a Standard Cycle Products brand loop frame step thru made here in Ontario, Canada. I believe she's at least that old. I'll get some pics posted soon.

Hmmmm,
my30004.jpg

Whose is this? What a great restoration.
WoW. , Franco

Westfield did actually build the majority of Elgins up to around 1938. There are 50s and 60s westfield JC Higgins around, so I wouldn't say this bike is "unpossible"! But, Sears wouldn't have had 'Columbia built' on their bikes, that's likely from another bike. Or, a combination of this and that. -Adam

Latest posts

Back