I'm in Austin now, and looking for a modern cruiser!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, sorry I've been out of the loop, but I just relocated to beautiful, sunny Austin Texas, and I'm loving it here so far. This town is wonderfully bike-friendly, and I look forward to cruising all over it once my collection of cruisers gets delivered by the movers to my new apartment. One thing I've discovered is that Texas is not as flat as I was led to believe, and the need for a lightweight, multispeed cruiser is becoming more and more apparent. I rented a single-speed from Barton Springs Bike Rental and went for a 10-mile cruise around Town Lake (now named Ladybird Lake), and the inclines were a bit rough on me (especially in the 103 degree heat). And from downtown to where my new apartment is will be a lot of uphill traveling, so I am looking at something new and modern. I also figure it's about time I treat myself to something nice and brand new for a change, since all bikes I have ever owned were old. One bike I saw for sale down at Lance Armstrong's bike shop, "Mellow Johnny's", is the Giant Simple 7. I am just curious what other's thoughts were on this bike, or if there is something similar that they've found to be easy and comfortable to ride (keep in mind I got a bad back these days and can't ride too hard). I know people have recommended the Electra Townie, but honestly I never really liked the look of it, and it's already a pretty common bike around here. Here is the Simple Seven if anyone wants to check it out:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 912/36612/
I think it also has plenty of potential for customization...
giant-simple-seven-2010-city-bike.jpg

Congrats Joey on the move :wink: Good luck on your search for a cruiser :D

I am a native Austinite, maybe someday life will move me back there. I really miss it.

At work we have a fleet of Simple Singles. They are great bikes, really well made. I think you will be happy with it. Have you looked at any of the multi-speed Schwinns?

welcome to texas joeymac! :D is it hot enough for ya? yeah, youll definitly need a few gears in austin, cause your in the beautiful hill country. you will never get bored living in austin, thats for sure. now start hitting the best bbq and mexican food joints there is, and always wash it down with a cold shiner bock! :lol:

It is going to be quite the change in weather but sounds like you have adjusted well. The Giant Simple is a nice bike but also look at some of the Electra's. The Tincino series has great style and very commuter friendly.

Good Luck Joey...I know you will "light up" that town........Stev :idea: il

Glad to see that you're using "yall" already. :lol:

If you don't mind putting up with 3 months of heck here, the rest of the year ain't too bad....well, except for those two months of snow and ice in Jan/Feb.

I have a feeling you'll fit right in down there. :wink:

Yo JoeyMac!

Glad to see you have landed and are happy with your surroundings. So the moving truck is bringing your stable of bikes, hmmm That means you still got the itch. Hope you take a few pics and get some rides going on down there and be sure to post up some pics!!

On a side note, send me a PM if you still have the contact info of that guy in New Britain with the classic bike collection. I think you said you bought a Sting Ray from him and you had some pics posted up at some time. Can't put my hands on the post at this time though.

Good luck and stay in touch!

Joe

Latest posts

Back