I'll just keep adding here...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a minute since I chimed in.

picked up this Mongoose. Gave it to a buddy who’s ‘got the bug’ lately to fix old bikes

2AE6F475-80D0-4DA1-B505-C25257264963.jpeg

Although I was super stoked to pick up a king sting a bit back, the repaint was driving me nuts. Found an original paint one I am much happier with

B9A69ADE-6FFA-4852-ADBC-88398AB115F7.jpeg

A scrap truck drove past me and I followed them. Picked this up and sold it about as fast as i pulled it off the truck
8FCAAB26-12A4-460C-B3E4-6C48005B920C.jpeg

I present, the saddest Laguna. This Laguna was recently discovered, and saved luckily. I was fortunate enough to grab it at a price I couldn’t refuse. Needs love. I’m your Huckleberry.
DDE4B23D-7A2B-41EA-AA61-F487CA124C29.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice finds. If your friend likes the Mongoose as much as I like my crossway 250 should be awesome. Plus, the saddest Laguna - just wow!
He mostly just wanted a project. I’ve got a lot of irons in the fire, so I was happy to give it to him. Love that he’s getting into fixing up bikes.

And yea... the Laguna looks like it had a heck of a life. The ‘cig box’ behind the bb was rusted through and the giant ‘gusset’ the the tank area was really poorly applied. I already had it repaired, gusset removed, rusted part of cig box cut out and replaced. The repairs cost more then what I paid for the frame, but I’m still into it for less then half what they go for. Can’t wait to build it up. But I’ve got 4 other builds I’m working on, so it may be awhile.

Been a minute since I chimed in.

picked up this Mongoose. Gave it to a buddy who’s ‘got the bug’ lately to fix old bikes

View attachment 134333

Although I was super stoked to pick up a king sting a bit back, the repaint was driving me nuts. Found an original paint one I am much happier with

View attachment 134334

A scrap truck drove past me and I followed them. Picked this up and sold it about as fast as i pulled it off the truck
View attachment 134335

I present, the saddest Laguna. This Laguna was recently discovered, and saved luckily. I was fortunate enough to grab it at a price I couldn’t refuse. Needs love. I’m your Huckleberry.
View attachment 134337
How many King Sting do you have now?

Picked this up from a friend today. Didn’t have a fork, put this one in there to stand it up.
haven’t even looked at the serial, guessing ‘36-'38ish. Came with a king headset (taken off), Phil front hub, Shimano inter 8 rear, Cook bros cranks, etc. pretty rad retro mod. May run it like this for a bit before I build it differently.

27F2B58C-3736-4F29-B94A-D119782836B8.jpeg

(Normal garage door pic interrupted due to campershell blocking it momentarily)

Last edited:
Picked this up from a friend today. Didn’t have a fork, put this one in there to stand it up.
haven’t even looked at the serial, guessing ‘36ish model C. Came with a king headset (taken off), Phil front hub, Shimano inter 8 rear, Cook bros cranks, etc. pretty rad retro mod. May run it like this for a bit before I build it differently.

View attachment 137654
(Normal garage door pic interrupted due to campershell blocking it momentarily)
That's rad!

Pick ups over the last couple weeks.

‘97 Specialized Fatboy. I wanted this bike so bad in 7th grade (the year it came out) stoked to finally have one. Also picked up ‘98 Specialized cruiser bars at the same time, perfect for an upcoming 90’s build.

3496B5FF-6156-4CCC-9A6C-B470E0476402.jpeg

I got a message about a pile of free bikes, I wasn’t able to go, but a buddy did and grabbed this for me. Decent parts bike (I’ve actually swapped most of it to a freshly painted men’s frame
1ECF9BFF-9432-4C63-BF2F-6B8234A6835C.jpeg

Today we we’re driving past a garage sale, saw a cruiser and had to stop. Not bad for $10. Would have been a cool bike in its day, with a chrome frame and fork, and lacquer red stem, cranks, chainwheel, and wheels. Has definitely seen better days. Will be a fun few days project.

3FE935B0-5280-41BD-9018-DF607DFE7893.jpeg

I can relate. That Fat has been on my wish list since about 97 too. Condition is not bad either, that bar pad gets some heavy exposure
It’s definitely a lil rougher then the pic looks. Fair amount of surface rust. Nothing a vinegar bath wouldn’t solve tho. It’s pretty low miles. Original tires and grips. Even has the original Fatboy bar plus with no scratches

Forgot to get a pic of this one before I redid it. A buddy bought it for the fork and seat it had previously. The bars on it were some small/tight bars, so I swapped those as well. Interestingly enough, forum member @thebigorangecat stopped by for some parts, and it turns out he had sold it to my other buddy! Small world.

8205759E-CB88-48E8-97EF-1BCAC4FA5BDC.jpeg

I still can’t quite believe I finally own this frame. I had put it in the ‘if I get lucky or win the lottery category’. Well, as luck would have it, I received a call, and the price was manageable. It’s far from perfect, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s gonna be a journey to get it dialed how I want it. I can’t wait.

Cook Bros Racing Cruiser

85BE37CD-CEC5-4CA9-B79D-400F0E5C18A9.jpeg

Latest posts

Back