IE Custom Cycles #3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I met a guy at a motocross race back in September where I was riding my last build around the pits and track. He expressed interest in it and even rode it around. We exchanged numbers and I didn't hear from him for a month. He told me he wanted me to build him one for his girlfriend for Xmas so I sketched up a couple ideas and he loved it. But that was the extent of the conversation... I was a little bummed because he never got back to me; that is, until the second week of December!! So I basically had one week to gather materials and fab this bike in time to get it to the powdercoater and back in order to assemble it all by Xmas day. Just to test me a little more, of course mother nature had to open up the skies for that one week of very cold, wet nights outside! Despite the stress, I still had a blast as always just wrenching and fabbing :D

Now on to the build! My only given guidelines to work within were that she wanted 29" wheels like mine, she is 5'8", she loves purple and she loves classic Cadillacs. So I took that and used 1.5" .0625" wall tubing for the main portion of the frame and .75" .0625 wall for the rear triangle. I used a new powdercoater for this build and loved it. If anyone is in the SoCal area, PowderCoat Industries in Palmdale did a great job, quick turnaround, very reasonable cost, and easy to work with. I chose a candy purple color with a silver metallic basecoat, and top clear coat. For the most part, the components are just stripped from a Walmart Onyx 29er and made to work with my frame. I would have rather use higher quality parts, but the gentleman's budget was tight, so I worked with what I had on hand.

Hope you guys like it!
-IE Custom Cycles

IMAG1391.jpg

IMAG1393.jpg

IMAG1392.jpg

IMAG1394.jpg

IMAG1404.jpg

IMAG1454.jpg

IMAG1456.jpg

IMAG1465.jpg

IMAG1466.jpg

IMAG1491.jpg

IMAG1492.jpg

IMAG1493.jpg

Great build but I have a question about this style of bike. I really like the look but how are these to ride with the frame being so low? I ride in and out of driveways, over speedbumps, on lumpy grassy and dirt areas. Are there problems with them bottoming out? I saw someone with a Basman added a grinder strip on the bottom of the frame to keep the frame from getting damaged.

Thanks for any feedback.

Hi there

Lovely bike , can I ask ?

Did you build your earlier bikes just with the hydraulic bender ? and bought the tubing roller later as can be seen in the pictures for this bike?

The benders are far easier to buy in the UK than the rollers and I am thinking I will get one to increase the range of bikes I can build.

thanks for your time paul

Latest posts

Back