Identification Information

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone got any clue to what I have here?
26" pre-war bikes didn't come with badges so I really don'r know how to identify. If you know what they are and have badges for them you get extra points! :lol:

26" (has stainless steel truss rods but they are not pictured)
DSC04007.jpg

DSC04008.jpg

DSC04009.jpg

DSC04010.jpg

DSC04149.jpg

Not sure on what they are :? But there cool :shock: By the way, nice Springer Classic and Road King 8)

Great frames! I would restore that trike. I'll buy that thing rather than see it chopped up. It's not too often you run across authentic pieces from the art-deco era.

Tailwinds said:
Great frames! I would restore that trike. I'll buy that thing rather than see it chopped up. It's not too often you run across authentic pieces from the art-deco era.

Yeah I was thinking about it. I just wanted to make sure they weren't common enough to chop up. It's really cool it's just that, well, I can't ride it. :? I do have some tricycle parts. If anyone knows what it is I could research it and maybe find some parts that would work good. I might consider offers on it since I would rather work on something I can ride. No kids YET.

SimpleMan said:
The second frame is a Shelby.
Thanks SimpleMan!! Any idea of year? Any links to information such as date codes and models for Shelby.
Looks like it must be a 36 or before because of the straight bar.

Nobody has any idea what the first bike in the pic is? I thought someone would get it since it still has original paint and graphics. The curiosity is killing me. :| Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

ratina said:
I'm no expert, is the sprocket on the first bike Rollfast? Maybe research that and see what you come up with.

PLEASE dont cut that trike up! That thing looks amazing! Those have to be rare, I've only seen a couple.

I did run Rollfast but didn't look deeep into it. I believe the crank is original as it came with the fenders, truss rods, (missing the front wheel and chain guard) and back wheel.
And no, I am not cutting up the trike. I have the rear wheels, just need the front wheel (sloid) and the original tank (for lack of better term)style handle bars that.

Petrohead said:
ratina said:
I'm no expert, is the sprocket on the first bike Rollfast? Maybe research that and see what you come up with.

PLEASE dont cut that trike up! That thing looks amazing! Those have to be rare, I've only seen a couple.

I did run Rollfast but didn't look deeep into it. I believe the crank is original as it came with the fenders, truss rods, (missing the front wheel and chain guard) and back wheel.
And no, I am not cutting up the trike. I have the rear wheels, just need the front wheel (sloid) and the original tank (for lack of better term)style handle bars that.

I have the same sprocket and was told it was from a Rollfast.

Glad to hear your going to fix the trike up!

I'd email Phil (rms37) about that first frame. If anyone would know, he would! That sprocket looks like a Wald replacement, or possibly Westfield/Columbia. But the frame leaves me scratching my head! My best guess would be something oddball like a Manton & Smith or a CCM or something.-Adam

Bump for information. It's driving me nuts not knowing what this thing is. I can't seem to find anything that totally matches up. Anybody? :cry:

Im sorry I cant help, but... one thing Ive wanted to do was create a Database or spreadsheet with all the manufacturers, years, brands, models etc. and link each entry to a picture or catalog page.

Sort of a one stop shop for old bike identification. Seems right now you have to search all over the place for info. Would also be awesome if the info could be made "static" instead of a sticky forum post.

Maybe also have a section with parts identification, i.e. Picture of a springer fork, then it gives you the possible manufacturer, year or brand that it originally came from.

Im sure something like that would be a huge undertaking, but well worth it in my opinion.

dON'T know what it is but it;s cool ,cant say i'v ever seen a frame like it and dont reconize the graffics either ? looks preware ? VERY COOL whatever it is....

I know the feeling of finding a balloon frame that defies identification. I have looked at the photos several times and have not been able to determine who made it. Many times frames are hard to identify because they are too similar to other standard frames, this one is the opposite, it has several distinctive features that are unique and unlike any one other known frame.

It really comes down to the frame for identification as cranksets and forks get changed out frequently (the fork looks like a Huffman unit but the frame does not and although the paint job looks original it could be an early wartime or even prewar refurbishment. The darts on the seat tube look like decals rather than paint so I suspect they were added.

My advice would be to leave this one as is, at least as long as it is a true mystery, It is possible it is a factory experimental so mod-ing it would possibly destroy an historically unique frame.

My suggestion for the moment is look for a serial number and if you can find it, post a picture, because sometimes the location or the font used can shed light on a possible builder even if the number does not. Other areas to examine are the insides of the bottom bracket and the head tube. Many builders used specific construction techniques in these areas including internal lugs with flared mouths so those details may pin down the source of the frame.

While I don’t currently have an answer these are the pictures I squirrel away to compare when fresh information pops up.

rms37 said:
I know the feeling of finding a balloon frame that defies identification. I have looked at the photos several times and have not been able to determine who made it. Many times frames are hard to identify because they are too similar to other standard frames, this one is the opposite, it has several distinctive features that are unique and unlike any one other known frame.

It really comes down to the frame for identification as cranksets and forks get changed out frequently (the fork looks like a Huffman unit but the frame does not and although the paint job looks original it could be an early wartime or even prewar refurbishment. The darts on the seat tube look like decals rather than paint so I suspect they were added.

My advice would be to leave this one as is, at least as long as it is a true mystery, It is possible it is a factory experimental so mod-ing it would possibly destroy an historically unique frame.

My suggestion for the moment is look for a serial number and if you can find it, post a picture, because sometimes the location or the font used can shed light on a possible builder even if the number does not. Other areas to examine are the insides of the bottom bracket and the head tube. Many builders used specific construction techniques in these areas including internal lugs with flared mouths so those details may pin down the source of the frame.

While I don’t currently have an answer these are the pictures I squirrel away to compare when fresh information pops up.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. The graphics seem original. They carry through to the fenders but you never know. I can usually at least find who made it by similarities but this one alludes me.

Ratfink1962 said:
Im sorry I cant help, but... one thing Ive wanted to do was create a Database or spreadsheet with all the manufacturers, years, brands, models etc. and link each entry to a picture or catalog page.

Sort of a one stop shop for old bike identification. Seems right now you have to search all over the place for info. Would also be awesome if the info could be made "static" instead of a sticky forum post.

Maybe also have a section with parts identification, i.e. Picture of a springer fork, then it gives you the possible manufacturer, year or brand that it originally came from.

Im sure something like that would be a huge undertaking, but well worth it in my opinion.

I have been thinking the same thing for a while now. It would be a great thing. Badges, front ends, even seats. I would help however I could :lol:

Latest posts

Back