"I Think I Smell a Rat" by the White Stripes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
due to the fact I am pretty broke due to just buying a house :( I wont be building the X-53 I previously posted.... I want it to be multispeed with a springer and 24x3 tires n all the goodies so I will be building a true rat now
sorry about the picture quality as my camera has died :( and is in the shop
so crappy webcam it is!
ok since I just got a bunch of bikes I need to switch directions might as well make a rat out of a prewar! hopefully when I get done the only thing less than 60 years old will be the paint and the air in the tires!
Picture011.jpg

Picture009.jpg

at first I thought it was a schwinn because of the sweetheart sprocket but after more research I think its a shelby or a Colson with these bikes I got there were a set of handlebars that have to be the longest Longhorn handlebars I have ever seen!
I have a decent set of vintage tires I have been saving which will be perfect for this
skiptooth wheelset springer seat and coke bottle grips!
too bad it isnt squirrel season I need a tail to hang off the back!

initial mockup

man I so miss my good camera so sorry about the quality here
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

time to take it apart and start sandin!
I have a way cool handlebar modification in mind I will post pics of that when I get it done!
I love the real early seat post because you can really slide them back!
and I should be getting a couple of cool lights and hopefully they will fit what I am going for

when I went to take the bike apart man what a nightmare
I had to cut the crank off with a hacksaw because after 4 days of trying to get a pedal off with no luck it was my only choice
and when I went to take the front fork off it came off easily but the tope onch of the tube is cracked so it will need repaired too..... the lovely world of 70 year old bikes ugh

I sent you a private message.

oops switched gears again! well I will be!
instead of skiptooth wheelset I will be rollin on a nexus 4 speed!
15f0_1.JPG

hurry UPS hurry!
I also ordered a 26x3 tire but I dont think it will fit... oh wait wheres my chrome shoeshorn!
we used it to put a 427 in an opal gt back in 82 lol

I've heard that if you grind off everyother tooth in a modern cog, you can run a skiptooth chain on it. I haven't tried this, but it woudl be a shame to loose the skiptooth crank and chain, and think of how neat it would be to run a Nexus with a skiptooth.

well I am going to have to disquailify myself from the competition but I will still continue to build along with everyone else but the rear portion of the fram on this bike had been brazed up many times over the years and when I went to widen it and straighten it for a bigger tire it basically crumbled so I cut the rear portion off another frame and will be welding the 2 together and in doing so I am removing 4 inches from the top portion to tighten the tire and to lower the bike
this is a mocked up pic
ya017.jpg

I will have to go with shorter cranks unless I lengthen the forks but I think its got a great curve along the whole frame now and this rear frame section has a cool hoop design near the top of the tire
stuff015.jpg

I wouldnt be me if I didnt break the rules I guess haha
the more I look at the pictures I think it needs a fork about 4-6 inches longer to level the lower tube with the ground.... I am sure I will change my mind a 1000 times before its done lol

Clothespin "n" said:
unless it doesn't ride correctly otherwise....
I wouldn't extend the Fork.I think the bike
has to many Classic
lines to change the angle like that!

my 2 cents

I second the motion...but we are just the peanut gallery :lol:

Hooch said:
oh I will finish it :) I just wont be judged no biggie
heres a rookie fotoshopped pic of extendeing the fork
Image1.jpg

so I dunno if I like it or not lol

MY 2 SCHILLINGS WORTH: I vote no on extention forks...why.... becuase it kills.. the great look of the frame modification..ie lower the bike then kill the lowering with raising it back up?? Ive done about 4 of my bikes this way[lowering frame] check green bike top left in WHATS A RAT ROD BIKE?....I would rake the fork tube , kick out the extended fork to level the bike....it will look cooler and ride much better....ooooops thats more than 2 SCHILLINGS :wink:

got the frame welded and ordered some more parts!
now I need to find a kids bike to steal the crank off of my pedals are 2 inches from the ground lol so I need a shorter crank I will make up the torque hopefully with the nexus 4spd hub..... hurry up UPS! lol
i really like this old black and white seat but its kinda small for my 6'5 275lbish frame
2.jpg

I am still not sold on the handlebars I need to wait til I have my new fork on it before i finalize that
hopefully next week iwill have all my parts and plan set then off to get blasted and then paint...... flat sumthin

Latest posts

Back