I shall call him wilfrid the klunker(action video)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: I shall call him wilfrid the klunker (trailer woodwork)

I never leave home without mine! No matter what bike I ride it's always got one of my trailers behind it. I had 4 at one time now I'm back down to 2 but working on building a 3rd after seeing this cool one you got!. :mrgreen:

image-103.jpg

P8100002.jpg

P9050063.jpg

love it !!!!!!!!

the only trailers that I have seen have the canvas style bottoms love the hardshell style what brand are they? one of the main reason I originally decked the one I'm working on was larger carry capacity, and heavier loads. what size are the bases on the shell?

Troy

I like the wooden ones, that one with all the bikes on it is hilarious, the funniest thing like that i've done is when I towed 2 trikes(front wheels in the rear of the one in front), and 2 bikes with a trike.

3 wheeled wolfy said:
I like the wooden ones, that one with all the bikes on it is hilarious, the funniest thing like that i've done is when I towed 2 trikes(front wheels in the rear of the one in front), and 2 bikes with a trike.

:shock: :lol: 8)

here is the other trailer I have! got it 2 months ago for free!!!!!!!!

alright here goes! todays efforts

added the finish

and tires

the bed is 32"X20"

Love the way it looks as it sits! played around with some of the fenders I have and did not like the look. will play with it some more though. the existing hitch back clamp piece is missing and it will not work any way because of the drum brake so will build something in a few days have an idea or 2 oh and add tie down toggles!!!!

Troy

Re: I shall call him wilfrid the klunker(trailer finish& wheels)

Classy!!! I'd put a wood deck on that free trailer, a modern 21st century plastic tow-behind just looks "off" with the rats, like it would match a newer trek fine but not the rat's imho.

noodlenoggin said:
That's cool, and the wood finish compliments Wilfred's varnish finish. How's the empty weight of the trailer? Not too heavy with that wood deck?
its not bad at all maybe a few pounds heavier then factory.

3 wheeled wolfy said:
Classy!!! I'd put a wood deck on that free trailer, a modern 21st century plastic tow-behind just looks "off" with the rats, like it would match a newer trek fine but not the rat's imho.
ty and yeah the new plastic ones might look weird with older bikes but they are cool!!

Troy

LukeTheJoker said:
Nice work Jats!
Looking forward to seeing it connected up to Wilfred!

Luke.
will be able to do that on Monday or Tuesday!!!

Trying to catch up on your build,
Your skidding shots are awesome!!
Nice job on the wood trailer

The trailer looks great, but where's the jute? :mrgreen:

jats said:

added the finish

and tires

the bed is 32"X20"

Love the way it looks as it sits! played around with some of the fenders I have and did not like the look. will play with it some more though. the existing hitch back clamp piece is missing and it will not work any way because of the drum brake so will build something in a few days have an idea or 2 oh and add tie down toggles!!!!

Troy

The Renaissance Man said:

jats said:

added the finish

and tires

the bed is 32"X20"

Troy
how to you think I am going to connect the trailer :lol: :lol:

jats said:
The Renaissance Man said:

how to you think I am going to connect the trailer :lol: :lol:

Uh, jute? :p

jats said:
the only trailers that I have seen have the canvas style bottoms love the hardshell style what brand are they? one of the main reason I originally decked the one I'm working on was larger carry capacity, and heavier loads. what size are the bases on the shell?

Troy

My hard shell ones are made by Instep, and the red and yellow one (Behind the tandem project) is made by little tykes and is bigger but doesn't pull as quite as nice and the mount clamps on the frame and takes longer than the quick connect on the other one, (Also won't fit with a coaster brake or disk brake). I'll have to get measurements on them later.

Here's a good size reference for the mean time. Pretty handy, I have been able to stack a bike with the trailers canopy bars up and strap it down with a ratchet strap and had no problems. They are also rated up to 300 lbs! I have had as much as 500 lbs on one but I did crack the mag wheels. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back