I need some wisdom you guys

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay im new here (dont hit me please) i just acquired a sears spyder girls frame for 20$ other than that i cant really find any solid info about it, the year or anything else. They all seem to be the more popular cruiser frame and boys muscle bikes. I dont care about it being original because i have a load of parts comin in to clean it up and modernize and rat rod it a little bit. Im mainy lookin for specs like bottom bracket size, head tube diameter for a custom badge im looking at etc. Sorry in advance to the purists on these forums because its getting molested lol. And thank yall in advance for any kind of help you guys can lend me :heart:
Screenshot_20200421-020218_Messenger.jpg

Oooof. (Let my gut fall back out real quick):whew: on that note has anyone done a raw frame finish? Did yall actually use powdercoat clear? Or would a reputable rattle can clear coat suffice?

Welcome to the site! I don't know these types of bikes specifically and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the bottom bracket is most likely standard American for a one-piece crank. For the head tube diameter, someone probably knows that, too, but I recommend getting a set of calipers as they come in really handy when you start changing stuff out and modifying. I use the cheap ones and they've been fine. With a head badge, you don't have to be exact as they can be bent a little in or out to fit. Depending on how it was shipped, it might have to be fine tuned even if it's an exact match.

Certainly not much for purists here—we've had someone modify an Elgin Skylark frame (which came out awesome) and I'm sure there's some other rare stuff I can't think of right now.

Thanx duchess i appreciate everyones patience and hospitality here always weird feeling out new forums. American bb is a good sign those are easy to find stuff for. I was just gonna look into snagging up a caliper and preventing all these dumb questions. And surprisingly enough all the ball bearing and races look super good and solid so ill clean em and grease em and i hope to have everything finished soon so i can keep all yall updated on my first "ratstoration" :heart::heart::heart:

You can apply a light coat of boiled linseed oil, and I mean thin. To thick and it gums up and turns yellow.
The down side is it as to be re applied about once a year.

If you want hassle free, powder is probably the best bet.

Ohh thats slick. So im guessing just normal clear coat won't stick very well due to no primer catalyst to grab onto. Powdercoat the only option im guessing

Thanks, never really thought about to be honest. I had (as in no longer have) a great powdercoater, so I went that route on that bike.
I’m a fan on boiled linseed oil over bare aged metal. I’ve used clear polyurethane over bare metal on parts before as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, never really thought about to be honest. I had (as in no longer have) a great powdercoater, so I went that route on that bike.
I’m a fan on boiled linseed oil over bare aged metal. I’ve used clear polyurethane over bare metal on parts before as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked up a can of lacquer based ultra clear coat. But since so many people have suggested linseed oil i think im gonna get a can of that and rag it on instead oh and what kinda material would you assume the frames made out of? I was wondering if i could heat anodize the forks or somthing

Thats an interesting finish job to say the least it looks to be heated he didnt specify at least i didnt vatch it skimmin thru the thread. It didnt look as intense as id thought it would so maybe ill skip that. I also came to the conclusion im gonna shop around for my favorite brews in cans and see which one would make the coolest headbadge because well spending 75+$ on one isnt very ratrod

Good idea about the digital calipers and measuring, and about saving parts, although a bike this new or old would be a surprise to find anything nonstandard.

Since you asked about the type of metal, I have seen some Murray built bikes with a semi transparent candy coated type of paint. Underneath the semi transparent finish coat may appear to be a thin shiny silvery layer on the steel - not sure if it was paint or an electro-plated surface treatment.

I appreciate all the attention yall gave me on the thread. I should be gettin my parts in today.. im gonna rummage thru junkyards when they open and see if i can find any bullet style tail lights and old capped headlights. And maybe a seat made out of a stop sign lmfao too bad i alreadt bought a purple voulure seat

Latest posts

Back