I name this Spaceliner "Dorothy"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Spaceliner last year and for one reason or another didn't have time to work on it past tearing it down and stripping the rattle-can black paint from it.

My wife wanted it to "pop" so last weekend I hit it with Cherry Red, then while the paint was wet threw ultrafine glitter on everything and then covered it all with clear. Lots of sparkle in direct sunlight !!

So far so good. Need to re-lace the original rims and hubs with new spokes and then put her back together.

10462963_660531530690347_4551428240503989760_n_zpsdd84d0bd.jpg

IMG_1255_zpshhl4ssmv.jpg

IMG_1269_zpsug94fcz8.jpg

IMG_2240_zpswe9obv8g.jpg

IMG_2241_zpscamt76cd.jpg

Back to the drawing board.... frame wasn't smooth enough with about 5 coats of clear.

Spent the weekend stripping all the paint off.

I found some paint with finer glitter in it, probably wont pop as much but we'll see when I get a chance to spray it.

I used the glitter paint from Wally world and had the same issue, I found that sanding between coats of clear worked pretty well. I used auto clear results were not great but not bad either

Had some time this past week. Base coat is Cherry Red, then 3 coats of fine red glitter followed by 2 coats of sliver glitter in clearcoat.

I also hit the fork cap and the rear fender with gloss black. Unfortunately the chrome was too far gone to save.

Most importantly my wife likes this version...

IMG_2325_zpsyrv1dene.jpg

IMG_2326_zpsl978acww.jpg

IMG_2327_zpsmrqwxohe.jpg

I remember back in wood shop we used to run fine sandpaper or steel wool over our projects after each coat of varnish to get a smooth finish.

Latest posts

Back