Jude's finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, 3 daughters and a wife and they all want to ride together.

As I have PLENTY of bikes, and think all my bikes are super cool and super useful, very few of them are mommy or daughter approved!

I Picked up this pigeon off Craigslist for $75. Ridden twice. Got the owners manual and a bunch of other paperwork with it.

Fair price I think. I definitely Didn’t steal it, but there’s definitely a lot of technology here for $75!!!!

Not my thing, but definitely ok for a momma or teenage ride or workout.

(Truth be told, I want to tear this apart and use for parts for other builds!!!!).
6643091E-76AF-4DE4-9268-3472FF7EDB07.jpeg

A very fair price for a gently used bike of that quality. And, as you say, a goldmine of parts once the novelty wears off. Between the tires, wheels, saddle, and all other components, you've already gotten your $75 worth.

A very fair price for a gently used bike of that quality. And, as you say, a goldmine of parts once the novelty wears off. Between the tires, wheels, saddle, and all other components, you've already gotten your $75 worth.
I’m hopeful they hate it!!!!

All those parts would look great on my collegiate project!!!
F09AB01A-AAF6-4EF4-906D-FC7CEF9E9720.jpeg

It's a Raleigh with a bent fork. Date code on the Sturmey should date it.
Thanks! I’ll check it out tomorrow in the daylight!

Is the “bent fork” from damage or a type of fork they made? LOL

I’m clueless with these! I just grabbed the bike..... did not check for damage....

Looks like it may have gotten up close and personal with a curb...or wall :headbang:.

I would closely inspect the top & downtube to headtube junction for cracks/distortions. Then pull the forks and, using a straight edge if necessary, determine where the bend is. If it's all in the legs, and no cracks, reassemble sans wheel, bolt in some all thread in the forks (nuts inside and outside)...turn the forks backwards...attach a ratchet strap from the allthread to the BB area...and ratchet until a straight edge confirms straight. Remove and reinspect for cracks/damage.

Should be good to go!

Last edited:
That's definitely a Raleigh chainwheel. The desktop version had a link to all the TI group or tube investments holdings and the frame numbers from the other factories besides Nottingham. Those only go up to 73 but I think the Curt Caminer site has the late model numbers

Nice bike! It's way too tall for me, the usual Raleigh was a 21" frame I think. That must be at least a 23" frame. I agree with the above posts, it's an older model that was upgraded. The hub says 75, but the bike looks older, going by the brakes and other features. The rear fender isn't original, the front one is, with the flat braces and ridge down the middle. It needs to come off there because it looks rusted away at the top. The wheels may have been an upgrade also, the rims match so the set was probably changed out together. They look shinier than the other components like the cranks and brakes which show years of buildup.
Ditto on the forks, they may be corrected with no problem. I line up a ruler or straight edge along the head tube of the frame and it should follow the legs of the upper part of the forks. Yours will show a slight backward bend that can be worked out as noted in the post above. You may have loose bearings in the headset, about 22 per race, get ready with a bucket or something to catch them if you take it apart.
My experience with these old Raleighs is like the older Schwinns. The paint and chrome are very good and shine up like new with some work. I'll bet the black color and chrome on the cranks will still show some original shine. I use car paste wax on the paint and give it a few coats.

Those gum wall tires are dope!
Usually it's hard to get good looking tires in 26 x 1 3/8ths. Those look nice and wide with a good tread pattern. The white tires on the other bike look good too.

Latest posts

Back