I feel so ashamed...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey guys and gals, I know I haven't been around in a while, been busy with life, everything is good though and I still mess with my bikes all the time.

That being said, when I help people out with bikes and help them accomplish what they see in their head, sometimes I am ashamed at what I make happen.

The picture below is of a guy in my neighborhood. Back in 2010 when I was first getting into bikes he saw my bikes and stopped to talk. He wanted a mountain bike I had and traded me his road bike and $50 for it, his bike was trash, I gave it away. He gave me $20 and said he'd be back with the other $30 later that week, well, I never saw that money again and he avoided me for years.

Earlier this week he came by the house on a really nice older Gary Fisher, he told me how he traded the old GT mountain bike he had for it, and he asked about a front derailleur, I gave him some derailleurs and he started asking about a chopper style front fork. I told him to come by again and we'd see what we could do. I thought he wouldn't come back, but he did.

So today I took a really nice original Gary Fisher (pre-Trek buy out) USA made bike and swapped an OCC Chopper front end onto it. I didn't charge him anything, we just swapped parts.

He likes it and I guess that's all that matters.

abonimation.jpg

I agree with you guys, but he knows what he wants, and what was I going to do with another set of OCC forks? Besides, he let me keep the Rock Shock Jett fork. He also gave me 2 nice sets of cranks with chainwheels but the main part he let me keep that I wanted as soon as I saw the bike was the fork compression cap, I had one on the '98 Gary Fisher Joshua XO I bought new and wanted one ever since, it doesn't take much to make me happy. The cap says "ALL WORK AND NO PLAY IS NO FUN AT..."

He was interested in the 24" OCC chopper wheel/tire for the front, but I talked him out of it, that is a crap wheel and tire and his are nice.

To fit that fork, which is a threaded fork, I put it in place with his bearings and bearing top race, dropped a couple spacers on it, cut the keyway out of the top triple tree plate, and loosened the bottom triple tree plate so the fork legs would slide downward. Added a star nut in the steer tube, put another spacer on top of the top plate, cut the steer tube, set the depth on the star nut, and cranked down his threadless stem. It rides pretty good.

yoothgeye, I'm really digging that yellow Specialized in the background :)

Yeah, I like it too. The frame, fork, stem, and bars were given to me by a guy I trade BMX parts with, then a neighbor gave me the disc wheelset with bladed spokes and the tires on there. It's really light and my plan is to make it into an entry level trials type bike to play with, low gear, single speed, with discs. Soon I'll be riding like Danny MacAskill.

I'll be 38 in October.

Here's the cap I got:
cap.jpg

Now why did I think you were in your 60's?

Hahahahahaha just kidding Yoothgeye! I've missed seeing ya on the forum!

That's funny. I would have done it, but told him 50$ paid in a advance after the last deal, or the parts you wanted. Just to let him know you remember.

That's funny. I would have done it, but told him 50$ paid in a advance after the last deal, or the parts you wanted. Just to let him know you remember.

He's a nice enough fellow, I've burned too many bridges in the past, I try building them nowadays. That $30 never hurt my wallet so much as my feelings and they have healed now. I've been shown grace in life and think that I should extend it as well.

Latest posts

Back