BO15 I Can't Afford the Gas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PB blaster and a blow torch lighter world have save the OG spokes. Ive done it, to the detriment of my mind :21:

Planned to add new spokes anyway. I don’t have a torch, but I’ll keep that in mind the next time I want to light myself on fire. Pretty sure that’s what would happen if I tried that stunt. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the rims with the striping. Great patina too

I really wanted to use different wheels, so I had more options for cool tires, but these rims ( with the striping and the patina ) just kept winning me over. So I opted to keep the cool rims and settle on S-7 balloons.

The power of steel wool... before and after...
fcc4864351101230e94d9db74c2affeb.jpg

ff867b257c50a9e15fb59a6eebe73388.jpg

Those rims cleaned up great!

This is NOT coming off in a traditional fashion.
9bd6952ca3d4fc7f3564831093dfc50b.jpg

Any suggestions? I was thinking of cutting it off with small Dremel grinder wheel (my new favorite tool).

Brother Soul-G, if you use the dremel, just carefully cut a slot in the top nut, not cutting into the threads on the steer tube, and then stick a flat head screw driver in the slot, and pry it off. It will release as soon as you get some space between the threads.
Then see if you can screw the top race off with an adjustable pliers.

Brother Soul-G, if you use the dremel, just carefully cut a slot in the top nut, not cutting into the threads on the steer tube, and then stick a flat head screw driver in the slot, and pry it off. It will release as soon as you get some space between the threads.
Then see if you can screw the top race off with an adjustable pliers.

Thanks OJ. That’s kind of what I had in mind, but I thought I would “pick brains.” I need to salvage these forks, so I definitely do not want to damage the steer tube threads.

I assume that you have already soaked it in PB Blaster?

I assume that you have already soaked it in PB Blaster?

I did. And then I beat the tar out it with a rubber mallet. No luck. I was able to cut off the nut with the Dremel. BUT, now I’ve discovered the stem is stuck in the steertube, and will NOT move. I’ve tried all kinds of things to dislodge that thing, but to no avail.

Keep the pb blaster soaks going. Sometimes time and pressure pay off

Smack the head tube with a hammer a few times, the shock might break it free. If you can get a prybar between the lower cup and fork while smacking the tube, it would help. Or a lever between the fork tubes to try to turn them while hitting the head tube.

Smack the head tube with a hammer a few times, the shock might break it free. If you can get a prybar between the lower cup and fork while smacking the tube, it would help. Or a lever between the fork tubes to try to turn them while hitting the head tube.
Soak it in Zep for a week before you start smacking . We used this stuff in a small engine course I took on outboard engines and old Harley's ' that were frozen solid . The teacher bought in 5 gallon buckets because it worked .
https://www.amazon.com/Zep-Penetrating-Lubricant-Aerosol-Case/dp/B07VDGZ6K8

I’ve tried just about everything. This thing is crazy. I’ve resorted to cutting off the top of the stem to disconnect the fork from the frame. The steertube ruptured where the stem nut is lodged in there. Now I’m trying to drill it out. I think I’m making headway, but IDK. Oh! Also stuck in the steertube now is a broken screwdriver from when I tried to knock the stem nut loose and a broken drill bit. I’ll post pics later.

Oh! Also stuck in the steertube now is a broken screwdriver from when I tried to knock the stem nut loose and a broken drill bit. I’ll post pics later.

I'm missing a 6mm deep well socket and my dignity if you should find either of those in there as well :rofl:

Latest posts

Back