I bought some rust with a little bit of bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to an auction today. I was told they were going to have a bunch of vintage bikes. I found 6 piles of rust with a little bit of bike thrown in. Since I was there I told myself I had to come home with something. Believe it or not this old Hawthorne was the best bike there and now it's all mine! Lucky for me it was cheap and there are some useable parts under all that rust.
stuff066.jpg
stuff067.jpg
stuff068.jpg
stuff069.jpg
stuff070.jpg
stuff071.jpg
I've already started soaking everything with PB Blaster. The chain broke as soon as I started cleaning it. The frame has a nice deep maroon color under all that rust.

I wouldn't use oxalic acid for this bike.. depending how thin the metal is due to the rust it might eat through the frame. I've had that happen to a schwinn tank that had bad pitting like that, it ate straight through. :shock:

I've seen pictures of the cargo of old frieghters that were sunk in WWII, but I wasn't aware they actually salvaged some of it to sell at auction! :lol:

But seriously, that's actually very cool. I agree that it's worth a lot more to us who see the beauty of that patina and see the story through it. Great find!

I hope to spend a little time on it in the next few days. My wife had other things for me to do tonight... I have to try to keep her happy so I can play with my toys.
The PB Blaster has already freed the wheel and crank bearings so they now move. Right after I took those pics this afternoon I broke the front tire off the rim. It was rock hard and brittle so it broke into little pieces. The front rim has a little missing metal around the edges from the rust. I'll use a brass brush on both wheels and then see if they'll be useable. The front fender is missing the back 5" to 6" of metal and most of whats left is paper thin so I really doubt there will be any color left to be found on it. The PB Blaster has already made quite a bit of color come back on the frame... the frame really isn't rusted bad at all. The rear fender and rack seem real solid but I also doubt that there will be any color left on either of those. It should be a fun little project. When I bought it I thought it would just be used for a few parts but now I'm looking forward to riding it.

I got to spend a couple hours with it this morning.
stuff077.jpg
stuff079.jpg
It's not quite like it was 75 or so years ago but it's going to be on the road again one of these days.

Now it's rollin' and on genuine Wards Riverside Mate tires front and rear.
stuff080.jpg
stuff081.jpg

I probably looked a little silly pushing the bike down the street since I don't have a chain on it yet but I just had to ride it down the street and back. Who knows how many years it's been since this bike did that.

Latest posts

Back