Hugo's "Dead Parrot"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only one week to go, it's time to start sweating out the little details.

I installed my OPB (old people bike) pedals and mudguards, front and rear. Not sure about the mudguards.

dsc02432ky0.jpg

Some homemade poker dice valve caps, sir? Oh but of course! Much obliged, my dear man.

dsc02430ok4.jpg

Started figuring out the shifter. On the top right is the original Torpedo shifter, that would sit on the bars nexto to the grip. An outer cable would leave that until the bracket on the top middle, that would be attached to the front of the top tube. The cable would then proceed exposed to the end of the top tube, where it would encounter the bracket wiht the pulley on the top left. It would change direction and head straight for the adjusting chain attached to the axle. Me no likey.

I'll have the new shifter (bototm right) on the front of the top tube, outer cable goes under the top tube (I saved a couple of brazed-on loops from the grinder for that purpose) and ends up halfway on the seat stay. There it will encounter that little white piece (bottom middle) wich is an OPB outer cable stop, that I'll attach to the seatstay with a hose clamp. From then on, short trip to the adjusting chain. Hope it will wok, fingers crossed.

Hugo

dsc02428wi5.jpg

Great job on the faux paint. The mudguards may look better if you mount them inside the fender. Drill a hole or two then pop rivet or bolt the mudflap inside.

I think you may have problems with the new shifter set up. Most 3 spd hubs new and old use some sort of indexed shifting to get the right gear. Your replacement is a friction shifter and it will be hard finding the gears.

I like the mudguards Hugo. Great bike. You should get the innovation award for sure... you are the master at making do with what you have. I like this bike a lot.

Man, what an amazing transformation. I like it. I agree on mounting the mudguards inside the fenders. You could also "weather" them a bit with white and tan paint.
That bike is gonna be cool.

The "Dead Parrot" is 99% complete! Tomorrow, I'll test ride it and get final pictures.

Cman, I thought about that problem findind gears with a friction shifter. I was about to do a dry build to find out if it would work, but my axle nuts were missing and the dry build got canceled. I've ridden a bit in my driveway just now and I'm only getting two gears. I don't think it's a cable pull problem, I have plenty of cable slack at one end of the shifter, and plenty of cable pull left at the other end... :?: :?: :?: Oh well, at least those two gears are easy to find.

The handlebar and seat frame are back, and they're joined by an OPB stem (dirt cheap and comfortable riding position), and some flame grips on sale at the LBS. The seat also got new shiny pins (they secure the leather to the frame), and a dose of some leather care product I found around the house. The seat seems too big for that frame: maybe I'll get used to it, maybe I'll keep an eye out for a smaller seat.

I've installed my one euro flea market find rear light, and wired a couple of rechargeable batteries and a switch inside the tool bag that hangs from the back of the seat. I've got it setup so that a squeeze of the bool bag turns the light on or off, no need to open it.

dsc02442tn7.jpg

The mudguard flaps are too wide to attach from the inside of the fender. I think I've come to a decision about wether they should stay or not, but I'd like your advice: Mudguard flaps or no mudguard flaps?

dsc02444ho2.jpg

dsc02445oo1.jpg

Hugo

I was gonna say no flaps but the more I compare the photos........................I'd say put 'em on!(Looks great either way :wink: )
L8 EM

no flaps - looks shorter and sportier

with flaps - looks longer and cruisier

i think i like it without em but i'll probly change my mind tommorow

Done!

The correct answer was "just the rear mudflap". The whole idea behind the mudflaps was hiding the fact that the front fender is longer than the rear one. That was bugging me. But with both mudflaps on, the bike seemed too "bulky", too much crap going on. So, just the rear mudflap it is, and I like it.

dsc02483ha1.jpg

The test ride went well. I lost a seat spring nut early on, but Dead Parrot just continued on, unshaken and undeterred. I now have all three gears, and they are easy to select. There's almost 90 degrees of shifter movement from 1st to 3rd gear, and the shifter handle is a bit on the long side, wich makes finding the right gear a no-brainer. Just past vertical towards me is 1st gear, just past vertical away from me is 2nd gear, and all the way forward is "my knees are going to hurt tomorrow" gear.

Thanks to time-delay photography, here's your friendly builder:

dsc02495jj3.jpg

Gonna post on the Finished Bikes thread, now. (suddenly, there's a void in my life. When's that NHBRRBBO, again?)

Hugo

Finished pics look great. Thanks for testing the shifter set up. That give me a new option on the my Torpedo also.

A few things to say, first the build looks great, I really like the way you aged the paint , looks much better than the yellow.
secondly , looking at the pic of you riding it reminded me of my cousin Mike as you two look a lot alike, we are of Portuguese decent
but very Americanized a couple generations ago.

ahhhh hugo great job on the 'dead parrot'. i wouldnt say you suck at painting at all!!!!!! great job!
and 'sir this parrot is no more..it has ceased to be!' im guessing monty python? :wink:

Again, thanks for all the comments. They made me enjoy this build even more.

Schwinnspastic, maybe we're related! Do I have some money coming to me? Or some sweet Columbia straight bar frames? :)

Sensor, Monty Python it is. The world needs more bikes and more MP.

You're welcome, cman.

Hugo

i really like this one Hugo, went from a basic "canti-frame" to an aged classic lookin bike with some cool extras. :D

Latest posts

Back