Huffy Thunder Road pic! Anyone else have one of these?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was a very popular bike when I was a kid. The bike you got when you asked for a motorcycle. I remember the seat was dang comfy.
ctmpphpclxhxe_lg.jpg

I do, 'cept mine's not in that good of a shape. That's awesome.
When I was a kid I had a Stingray, and I remember being slightly jealous of the kids that had those. Funny how things work out.

I don't specifically remember that one, but I remember the era! I got to ride a neighbor kid's Evel kineivel bike, that was sweet! Dig those "loaf of bread" seats! I remember some of them had 'M X' on the back. ~Adam

I had one similar but with red fenders and maybe a red number plate...I loved that bike. It got stolen from the local fair once and one day, weeks later, I saw it sitting on a porch. My friend and his parents were with me and we got it back....wonder where it is now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sure, I had one. My brother and I got them for Christmas in 1976, I think. My Dad was a pilot for a small foundry in town, and every Xmas, they'd let us use the plane for a trip to see his parents in Florida. He packed 2 of those things, unbeknownst to us boys, into the front end of the airplane (Cessna 340 I think), built them Xmas Eve, let us ride them for a couple days, then tore'em down and put'em back in the plane for the return trip, then built'em back up when we got home to Indiana. I guess he really did love his boys. (My guess is Mom made him)

Those things were geared super tall, and had great top end. I made mine into a clone of the BMX racer Schwinn of the day, small saddle, ungainly box BMX bars. Broke the frame jumping, had a gusset welded into place by the LBS. Enjoy it near as much as I did mine and you'll have something there. Thanks for putting it up!

I have one of these hanging in my basement. I bought it thinking that the seat was wrong ( black banana seat ) and since looking at your nice example it looks like I'll need to find the correct one. These really are geared pretty tall and I kept flipping it trying to pull wheelies. Cheers

Yep... I had one. First new bike I ever got. I think it was about 1977 and it came from "The Merc" in Buhl Idaho... If I remember right it cost $94 at the time... I had been riding a baby blue schwinn girls bike that my grandma had bought at a yard sale... MAJOR up grade for my ego..... I have no idea where it went.. a few years later I talked my dad into buying me a 10 speed and I dont think I ever rode the ol huffy again (we lived 3 miles from town, the ten speed made my life much much easier) I bet it got handed down to my little brother who was three years younger... I should ask him..

gashuffy63 said:
I have one of these hanging in my basement. I bought it thinking that the seat was wrong ( black banana seat ) and since looking at your nice example it looks like I'll need to find the correct one. These really are geared pretty tall and I kept flipping it trying to pull wheelies. Cheers

I just found the pic on some site. I don't have one but the pic looks just like the one I had as a kid. I took the number plates off after I had it a few weeks. I think it was #54. I did see some earlier examples with banana seats when I did a Google image search for a Huffy Thunder Road.

Markm said:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/815939216.html

It's missing the front number plate. Piece of junk. :roll:

HA! That's incredible! ( Remember that show? ) Must have been kept in a time capsule! Thanks for posting that.

I got a Huffy Thunder Road when I was in 2nd grade. I had the bike for about a half hour and my buddy Jimmy asked if he could take it for a spin. He proceeded to ride through a fresh pile of dog poop with it. I was pretty angry and insisted that he buy me a new tire. This naturally generated laughs among my friends that were gathered and only added to my frustration. It was a great bike. Somebody ended up stealing it from me a couple years later though.

KansasJack said:
I got a Huffy Thunder Road when I was in 2nd grade. I had the bike for about a half hour and my buddy Jimmy asked if he could take it for a spin. He proceeded to ride through a fresh pile of dog poop with it. I was pretty angry and insisted that he buy me a new tire. This naturally generated laughs among my friends that were gathered and only added to my frustration. It was a great bike. Somebody ended up stealing it from me a couple years later though.

LOL :wink:

HBob said:
This was a very popular bike when I was a kid. The bike you got when you asked for a motorcycle. I remember the seat was dang comfy.
ctmpphpclxhxe_lg.jpg
got the exact same bike as a b-day present in 80. man i loved that bike.

Wow..I just bought one of these at a fleamarket..in pretty rough shape, but all there for $20, actually bought it to sell parts to a customer and am planning on rat-rodding the frame up with bodywork / big apes..now I almost want to restore it...dang !

bmxfanatic said:
HBob said:
ctmpphpclxhxe_lg.jpg
got the exact same bike as a b-day present in 80. man i loved that bike.

I had the same bike too!

Latest posts

Back